Van Til beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I think you could no better than read the brand new biography of Van Til. Then, you could very profitably go to Van Til's works, after the framework has been laid.

There are books that apply Van Til's thought to apologetics such Every Thought Captive by Richard Pratt and Always Ready by Greg Bahnsen.

I suggest you learn the Dutch language, begin to think, and act, like a Dutchman. That would be a good place to start before reading his works. :)

Van Til's works ! ;)

Starting with...?

Why sure! I don't know of any better way to become familiar with an author excepting by reading their works or listening to their lectures/talks/sermons etc.

There is actually a huge argument even between lovers of Van Til as to exactly what he taught - do you really want to get bogged down in that miry clay?

Ad Fontes! Best get it from the author's mouth and see what sense you make of him.

Van Til's works ! ;)

Starting with...?

Why sure! I don't know of any better way to become familiar with an author excepting by reading their works or listening to their lectures/talks/sermons etc.

There is actually a huge argument even between lovers of Van Til as to exactly what he taught - do you really want to get bogged down in that miry clay?

Ad Fontes! Best get it from the author's mouth and see what sense you make of him.

I don't think you understood my question - probably because it wasn't very clear on my part. I meant, "Starting with which particular work?" That's kind of what I was looking for here. If I just do a search at Amazon.com or somewhere else online, I get any number of different book results, such as "Defense of the Faith", "Christian Apologetics," etc. I was wondering, if a person wanted to begin to delve into Van Til's writing, which work would you recommend starting with?
By the way, I agree with your idea of getting information directly from the author, whether Van Til or someone else.

Starting with...?

I don't think you understood my question - probably because it wasn't very clear on my part. I meant, "Starting with which particular work?" That's kind of what I was looking for here. If I just do a search at Amazon.com or somewhere else online, I get any number of different book results, such as "Defense of the Faith", "Christian Apologetics," etc. I was wondering, if a person wanted to begin to delve into Van Til's writing, which work would you recommend starting with?
By the way, I agree with your idea of getting information directly from the author, whether Van Til or someone else.

Start wtih Christian Apologetics. It is not as convoluted as Defense of the faith but gives you the same basic idea.

The lectures are okay. The audio is bad at times. I would start with his Pro Rege.

And I almost disagree about not starting with hsi interpreters. It isn't as confusing and both bahnsen and Frame are very clear. They will also tip you off to different things than Van Til said that youw ouldn't catch on your on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back