Under the authority of the RPCNA???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin.carroll

Puritan Board Junior
On another thread (now closed) someone remarked that the PB was under the authority of the RPCNA. How is that possible? It seems to me that for such to be true the PB would have to be a ministry of the RPCNA. Secondly, it would mean that I am in a de facto position of submission to that particular denomination (last time I checked I wasn't). Third, wouldn't such a thing have to be mentioned in the description of the PB (it isn't)? Am I missing something?

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
The PB is not under the oversight of the RPCNA -- it is under the oversight of the RPCGA, which is Matt's denomination.

Thanks for the correction. My points remain the same. I have taken no vows to submit to its ecclesiastical authority.

[Edited on 4-25-2006 by kevin.carroll]

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
The PB is not under the oversight of the RPCNA -- it is under the oversight of the RPCGA, which is Matt's denomination.

Thanks for the correction. My points remain the same.

This is what the PB says here:

This Website is under the immediate oversight of Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church and the Westminster Presbytery of the Reformed Presbyterian Church General Assembly.

And this what the PB says here:

7. The Puritanboard is subject to Christ´s church.
The Puritanboard is owned by two Presbyterians, and those Presbyterians are subject to their local session. However, because the Puritanboard is moderated by both Presbyterians and Baptists, we endeavor to live in some level of harmony in edification and fellowship. Officially, the Puritanboard is governed by the Westminster Confession of Faith, and the Westminster Standards and will acquiesce to its standards in ultimate matters of any controversies on the Puritanboard. Some of our moderators are Baptist and hold to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. Others hold to the Three Forms of Unity. Those who desire to join the Puritanboard must embrace an historic confession. All members of this board hold to the basic creeds of the church: The Apostles' Creed, The Nicene Creed, The Athanasian Creed, The Chalcedonian Creed, etc. However, one must hold to an orthodox confession of the church. This does not mean that the owners of the Puritanboard and the moderators see these confessions as the "œWord of God." Rather, these confessions and creeds are documents that sufficiently comprise personal beliefs based on exegetical work taken from the Bible and allow mutual, like-minded fellowship (Amos 3:3, "œCan two walk together unless they be agreed?"). The owners of the Puritanboard believe the Westminster Confession of Faith to comprise the most accurate systematization of the Word of God. Some of our moderators believe the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith to do the same, and there is disagreement on certain points, though in love. The adherence to any orthodox historical documents assure that the board will be kept "like-minded" in most of the basic points of salvation history and that the fellowship "exhortive and encouraging." Those who seek to modify, depart from, change or disprove the doctrines found in the Confessions will bear the burden of proof to support their claim.

I believe it means (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Matt and Scott are accountable to the RPCGA about how they run this ministry of the PuritanBoard. It doesn't refer to you necessarily. You are governed by the Board Rules for your conduct on the Board. If there were some trouble that needed to be dealt with by the Church, then your denomination would be contacted in the appropriate way.

Originally posted by puritansailor
I believe it means (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Matt and Scott are accountable to the RPCGA about how they run this ministry of the PuritanBoard. It doesn't refer to you necessarily. You are governed by the Board Rules for your conduct on the Board. If there were some trouble that needed to be dealt with by the Church, then your denomination would be contacted in the appropriate way.

Perhaps that is why Pastor Way called General Assembly then?

Do we need to rehash the issue between McMahon and PastorWay again? This is a closed issue for both and up to either party to decide a future resolution between the two. Case Closed.

blade

Thanks for the correction. My points remain the same. I have taken no vows to submit to its ecclesiastical authority.

The same way that if someone attended a Bible study under the authority of your church (as to teacher, and subject matter). The individual would not be, strictly speaking, but the study would be.

Ecclesiology, my friend.:scholar: :D

Originally posted by fredtgreco

The same way that if someone attended a Bible study under the authority of your church (as to teacher, and subject matter). The individual would not be, strictly speaking, but the study would be.

Ecclesiology, my friend.:scholar: :D

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back