Total Lunar Eclipse February 20, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
My eldest son and daughter are going to an observatory to watch it. Hopefully it will be clear tonight north of ATL.

Hope we have a clear night - it's snowing right now. We almost always miss the good meteor showers because of cloudy skies :(

I have beautiful view of the moon from my office window. Perhaps it will stay this way through the eclipse!

Specific eclipse times in your sky:

Partial eclipse begins: 1:43 Universal Time (UT) Feb. 21.
For continental U.S. time zones, the partial ecilpse begins the evening of Feb. 20.
8:43 p.m. EST
7:43 p.m. CST
6:43 p.m. MST
5:43 p.m. PST

Total eclipse (totality) begins: 3:01 UT on Feb. 21.
For continental U.S. time zones, totality begins on the evening of Feb. 20.
10:01 p.m. EST
9:01 p.m. CST
8:01 p.m. MST
7:01 p.m. PST

Greatest eclipse: 3:26 UT on Feb. 21.
For continental U.S. time zones, greatest eclipse occurs the evening of Feb. 20.
10:26 p.m. EST
9:26 p.m. CST
8:26 MST
7:26 PST

Total eclipse ends: 3:51 UT on Feb. 21.
For continental U.S. time zones, the total eclipse ends the evening of Feb. 20.
10:51 p.m. EST
9:51 p.m. CST
8:51 p.m. MST
7:51 p.m. PST

Thanks for the tip

Ok now that was spooky, DW and I go outside to see the Partial Eclipse as we are in the MST and live out in a brand new subdivision with very few houses built so far and we hear Coyotes :eek: Yelping at the top of their lungs coming closer and closer to us. Needless to say our stroll outside was a little brief. :candle:

Ok now that was spooky, DW and I go outside to see the Partial Eclipse as we are in the MST and live out in a brand new subdivision with very few houses built so far and we hear Coyotes :eek: Yelping at the top of their lungs coming closer and closer to us. Needless to say our stroll outside was a little brief. :candle:

:lol: Coyotes howling here in Tacoma, too. We are just minutes from totality. First nice clear night we've had in a long time. We've got a good view from our backyard.

The snow stopped and the sky cleared just in time. We had to walk a ways in order to see it above the mountain to our East.

It rained all evening in Monroe, LA. It stopped around 9:00 but the sky was overcast. Oh well, I was blessed to see one in college a few years ago.

We had light snow here in the late afternoon, but the sky started to clear up around 7pm. Some of the grandchildren came over, along with other friends of our children, to experience the event together. I set up a couple telescopes and had a pair of binoculars, so we all got a pretty good look. It was truly beautiful. We also got to see Saturn, Mars, and the Orion Nebula.

Here's one picture I took through my 8" SCT. It was just after the start of totality.

moon04.jpg

If ya noticed, just to the SW of moon (at least in ATL), if ya held your right hand out where ya locked your elbow and made a backwards L with your hand and thumb, you would have seen Saturn.

I'm glad Andrew tipped us off to the eclipse. It was neat to see. Thanks, Andrew.

Last edited:
I'm glad Andrew tipped us off to the ecclipse. It was neat to see. Thanks, Andrew.

:ditto:

It was pretty spectacular here. We're usually in bed by that time but we stayed up to watch it. My wife had never seen one of these before and she was duly impressed.

Didn't get to see this - so what happens in a lunar eclipse and while the picture above is beautiful, how is it different than any other evening. Just kind of looks like the moon to me. Educate me, I'm astronomically challenged.

Didn't get to see this - so what happens in a lunar eclipse and while the picture above is beautiful, how is it different than any other evening. Just kind of looks like the moon to me. Educate me, I'm astronomically challenged.

Basically, a lunar eclipse is when the earth's shadow passes over the moon. It can only happen when the moon is full. The bright full moon transitions to a dull reddish color, much less bright than a normal full moon. The reason you can still see the moon at total eclipse, though, is because light passing through the earth's atmosphere is bent or scattered so that the earth's shadow is not completely dark.

If you watch from start to finish, you can see the shadow advance over the moon's face.

I'm glad Andrew tipped us off to the ecclipse. It was neat to see. Thanks, Andrew.

:ditto:

It was pretty spectacular here. We're usually in bed by that time but we stayed up to watch it. My wife had never seen one of these before and she was duly impressed.

My pleasure, gentlemen!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoElFFEUeE]YouTube - Lunar Eclipse Feb 2008 eclipse 2.20.08 2/20/08 February 20[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back