Theology of the Book of Common Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob,

I'm not thoroughly acquainted with all the versions of the Book of Common Prayer, but the 1552 edition was a definite step forward in the Reformation of the Church of England. This bit of history which shows the influence of Reformers on that edition may be helpful.

There have been other editions since and they generally are associated with efforts to lead the Church in a more Anglo-Catholic direction. The 1637 prayer book of course resulted in the Scottish revolt against Charles I and William Laud (see here to see how Jenny Geddes felt about its imposition by the Crown) and the 1662 prayer book (the one used recently by Charles and Camilla at their wedding) is associated with the ejection of Presbyterian ministers from the pulpit after the ascension of Charles II (see this website).

All that said, the Book of Common Prayer contains psalms and references the 39 Articles and has much that is sound and Reformed. It is the liturgy format that is most problematic, In my humble opinion.

Horse:

It depends on what you mean by Reformed. In most respects it is very Reformed and rejects the typical abuses complained of by the Reformation, including 5 alleged sacraments, prayer to saints, the papacy, etc. The 39 Articles appears consistent in most, if not all respects, with the WCF. The main difference would be in worship. The Church of England believes that the Church has the power to institute ordinances for worship, includes images in worship (which is commonly accepted by all today, with the exceptions of a few hold-outs like Andrew :bigsmile: ). They are more liturgical, but then Calvinistic liturgies were somewhat liturgical too, although not as elaborate. If you read thropugh the actual liturgies, I don't think you would find anything you disagree with.

Of course, the BCP also contains provisions regarding ordination and their episcopal views differ from those of the Reformed churches.

Here are the 39 Articles.

Here are the various version of the Book of Common Prayer.

So, you can peruse for yourself if you have an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back