The Westminster Confession

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Short

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anybody know of any really good lecture sets on it, you can buy on mp3? And or sets on the English Reformation?

Books are better and easier to find. Start with Sproul's and Hodge's commentary on it. William's is an excellent study guide. As for some good academic stuff... I am going to Grand Rapids, MI next week and I will keep an eye out for you but I know you can order from puritan reformed theological seminary the class (they are like 35-40 bucks I think for the mp3s) on the Westminster confession of faith which should give you the details you want.

Welcome to the board Andrew; please see the link in my signature about signature rules and how to fix yours. Thanks!

P.S. I know there are such sets and I'm sure suggestions will be forthcoming.

Is Truths we confess good? I think I read an article where Sproul denies that God ordains everything. Silversides has a lecture set on the shorter catechism. very cheap so I might get that.
I am interested in lecture sets from Whitefield Theological Seminary - Home

By the way, has anyone reformed the complete 1650 Psalter on cd?
Reformed Church of Canberra

No RC Sproul never said that. Can you please provide me with a link to that source? I have a feeling it is a very high supralasparian fundamentalist in personality kinda guy that one encounters temps en temps online. In the minds of an elect few if one doesnt believe in: supralasparianism, eternal justification before faith, eternal union with Christ, etc... you are an ''arminian in calvinist clothing'' (to use the language of someone on the internet in reference to Bavinck!) or not truely confessional or not ''consistent'' (whenever people talk on the internet in reformed formum about being ''philosophically consistent'', ''logical'', or taking a posistion to the ''logical conclusion'' many times you are dealing with someone who thinks they are Vantalian but has not studied him greatly and are going off a surface level knowledge of him or its just RedBeetle). There is also the possibility of him being a hypercalvinist also but lets not get into that debate of defining what a hypercalvinist is ;) (google Curt Daniel and buy a copy of his dissertation for the best explanation of hyper calvinism).

In any case, the 3 volumes are a treasure and a great intro if you do not know anything about the WCF but if you know the theology behind it its kinda just classic RC SProul. same anecdotes, style of writting, etc... But its good for beginners and I am planning on buying the 3 volumes as a gift for my Pastor's daughter for xmas who is a friend because she is going to be making her profession of faith soon... she is like my little sister here in Québec.

Something new: just picked up (and paid for!) a copy of Robert Letham's latest--The Westminster Assembly: Reading Its Theology in Historical Context (P&R, 2009), 399pp.

Looks good. In his intro, there is tantalizing mention of the "forthcoming multi-volume critical edition of the Assembly's Minutes" (pg. 1).

Something new: just picked up (and paid for!) a copy of Robert Letham's latest--The Westminster Assembly: Reading Its Theology in Historical Context (P&R, 2009), 399pp.

Looks good. In his intro, there is tantalizing mention of the "forthcoming multi-volume critical edition of the Assembly's Minutes" (pg. 1).

Is there any reason to think this will be any better than his ... umm ... disappointing work on the Trinity?

I think I can share this; Joe's wife Becky and friends pitched together and approach me to buy the last available author's copy of the Westminster Larger Catechism MSS for his recent birthday a month or so back. That was a very nice gift! And only ten copies made.
Joe Morecraft Appreciation Page | Facebook

Joe Morecraft Appreciation Page Many thanks to those of you who contributed to the purchase of the Author's Edition of this transcription of the Westminster Larger Catechism manuscript for Joe's birthday. He was overwhelmed at such an outpouring of love.

Morecraft III has quite a bit on the LC: SermonAudio.com - Sermons by Joe Morecraft III

Great find! And there are a couple of pages on the alleged theology of merit in the garden that alone are worth the price admission.

"What Do Presbyterians Believe?" by Gordon Clark is available for free at
Trinity Foundation

BE CAREFUL WHEN IT COMES TO THE TRINITY FOUNDATION!!!!!!!!!!!! there are some good things but anyone who knows the persons associated with them know there are many bad things also.

Robbins reading Clark's book is dangerous?

Please tell me what is wrong with Clark's book. It is not helpful to tell me there are some good and some bad and then forget to mention whether the book/mp3's mentioned fall into either category.

You might want to get Sinclair Ferguson's lecture set on CD from wtsbooks.com.

Definitely second this recommendation. Edifying, informative, and I could listen to his voice all day. There's just something about a Scottish accent...

-----Added 11/13/2009 at 03:29:54 EST-----

Great find! And there are a couple of pages on the alleged theology of merit in the garden that alone are worth the price admission.

Any more info on this? Am I correct to guess that Kline is critiqued?

You might want to get Sinclair Ferguson's lecture set on CD from wtsbooks.com.

Definitely second this recommendation. Edifying, informative, and I could listen to his voice all day. There's just something about a Scottish accent...

-----Added 11/13/2009 at 03:29:54 EST-----

Any more info on this? Am I correct to guess that Kline is critiqued?

Oh yes, Kline is critiqued.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back