The replacement language of 'broken' in place of 'sin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Anyone know where the language of being 'broken' came about that has generally replaced the language of 'sin'?

I keep hearing this phrase through preaching and conversation that 'we are broken' when in context it seems as though what is being referred to is our sin and depravity. Is there a reason for the sudden change in the past few years?

Is it best to describe our depravity and sin with the term 'brokenness'? Is this a blunting of the sword of God?

Anyone know where the language of being 'broken' came about that has generally replaced the language of 'sin'?

I keep hearing this phrase through preaching and conversation that 'we are broken' when in context it seems as though what is being referred to is our sin and depravity. Is there a reason for the sudden change in the past few years?

Is it best to describe our depravity and sin with the term 'brokenness'? Is this a blunting of the sword of God?

Can you provide some citations? I am not sure what you are talking about.

Not really. Sorry. I've just heard people in conversation or through preaching talk about it (nothing I know of recorded) sorry...and I've heard it on multiple occasions. The link maybe through those graduating from RTS-Orlando and Covenant Seminary as well as many in the RUF circles. Those are the people I have heard use it often, but it may be more widespread than just that. This may be just a PCA thing Ken, but again I have no clue.

Can you provide some citations? I am not sure what you are talking about.

I've only heard the word used to describe sinners who have come to repentance. "Broken sinner", "broken pride", "broken will", etc. It makes sense in that context.

It might make some sense in saying that the image of God is "broken" because of sin, but I'd think that would require more explanation. Otherwise, it would present an incomplete picture of how pervasive and devastating Sin is.

I've heard it for the last few years, too, and in the context you are describing. As far as the word being a replacement for "sinful" I'm not sure if it is. Hadn't thought about it. Maybe it is.

I know what you are talking about and have heard the same thing. We are "broken" and in need of saving grace, things like that. It always bothered me...

I think it's like anything in the modern day church... they water it down and make it easier for people to be ok with their sin. No one wants to offend and it's a less offensive term. Even referring to wicked depraved men who hate God as merely being "lost". It seems exposing men's sin and wicked deeds they do in the darkness is not so popular!

But as for the origin... I have no idea. I'm curious about this too :popcorn:

Is this the kind of usage you're thinking of?
Another way to look at the Christian life, however, is to see it from the perspective of the final restoration. The world and our hearts are broken.
or
Jesus’s teaching consistently attracted the irreligious while offending the Bible-believing, religious people of his day. However, in the main, our churches today do not have this effect. The kind of outsiders Jesus attracted are not attracted to contemporary churches, even our most avant-garde ones. We tend to draw conservative, buttoned-down, moralistic people. The licentious and liberated or the broken and marginal avoid church. That can only mean one thing. If the preaching of our ministers and the practice of our parishioners do not have the same effect on people that Jesus had, then we must not be declaring the same message that Jesus did.
or
The gospel tells us that we are more broken than we would admit, yet in Jesus, because of his life and death, we are more beautiful than we would dare dream.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Also, here is a blog post on the subject: Are We Sinful Or Just Broken? « Johannes Weslianus

I use the expression fairly often with non-xns. Most people that were not raised in the church a very limited idea of what is even meant by "sin". but the language of "broken" is fairly common.

I don't avoid using the term sin, but find that saying broken is often a better way to explain the concept of sin. I do make a point of using the word "sin" in the conversation as soon as possible, however I try to define it in terms that reference "brokeness".

I dunno who, or when it started but I had heard the gospel explained several times in a clear way using that language & I noticed how much better the message was being understood, so I began to use it as well.

I have mainly heard "broken" used in describing the weakness and feebleness that comes from sin. It is used to describe how are emotions and reactions are sinful and we are generally unaware of how affected they are by our sin. I have do not have an issue with it being used in that way, as long as it is qualified. Are you describing a different usage of the word broken or do you believe that the previous usage is faulty?

I think broken can be used (and is appropriate) in the context of speaking of the image of God being marred in sinful people.

I think broken can be used (and is appropriate) in the context of speaking of the image of God being marred in sinful people.

AGREED!!! We were supposed to be image bearers, but the pure image has been shattered. That is why we long for the Day of the Lord. This is when the new order will be initiated, and sin will no longer distort us.

I think I've also heard it in a not-so-good way. As in, people feel broken and Jesus can mend you...without any mention of sin at all.

We are broken, but if left at that, it completely misses the boat.

I believe it needs clarification if used to present the sin of humanity from Scripture.

I am going to write from my point of view as an advocate for using the term "broken" .
Sin is an act of crime against God. Man is total depraved, in constant sin until the day of regeneration, and than the the saint struggles with sin and the following the spirit. On the day of glory, sin will be no more in the saint, nor anywhere to be found.
Brokenness is the result of sin. A sinner who commits sin has broken their relationship with God in all three persons. They have a broken soul in need of a Savior, in need of their God. In the result of sin leading to brokenness, they become broken people.

A sinner is broken, a saint is in their wrestling with the flesh, the prince of darkness, and with the spirit of God.

To hate the word brokenness is to hate what God has used to bring people to Him. If David were not broken about with His sin, would he have ever fully repented to God? If Noah's heart was not broken down to see the sin of the people, would he have built the ark?

To be broken is to use biblical reasoning. I do not believe it is a replacement of the word sin, but more of a result of sin.

False dichotomy:

The phrase "Are we sinful OR just broken" prejudices the whole discussion.

All those I know who use the term "broken" also use the term "sinful" - we are not one or the other, we are both sinful and also broken and a healthy use of both terms, plus other terms as well (such as fallen, depraved, etc) can help a broader array of people understand our predicament.

There is nothing wrong with saying we are "broken" as a result of sin.

There is, however, something wrong with using "broken" as a euphamism, when it should be more appropriate to use the word sinful, wicked, idolatrous, and unrighteous. If a preacher is saying "broken" to soften the seriousness of sin in the eyes of God, he is not doing right.

Language is radically subvertible, that is, no word or phrase can truly be assessed outside the use to which it is put. So, by the very nature of language, of course there are good and bad ways that phrase can be used.

A few helpful uses come to mind: 1) connection to creation-fall-restoration schema; this word signifies our solidarity with the fallen order and our eschatological hope for complete mending; 2) it is a metaphor that describes the actual effects of sin in us, as opposed to merely the legal/forensic ramifications; 3) it underscores our total depravity; almost everyone will admit to having sinned, but fewer people will admit that they are in a defective moral condition that they cannot themselves rectify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back