The Prodigal Son Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmay

Puritan Board Freshman
So after reading the parable, what if the prodigal son had become prodigal again after this? At what point do you feel the father would just be "enabling" him?

This is a personal question for my own life, because my sister in law is very much like the prodigal son, receiving free gifts from her parents, but living a life of debauchery. This has put a great strain on my wife's relationship with her sister and her parents. So I'm curious as to how you would answer this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after reading the parable, what if the prodigal son had become prodigal again after this? At what point do you feel the father would just be "enabling" him?

No parable, as far as I know, is 100% representative of reality. But here's a few things which we are told:
1. The son "came to himself" (Luke 15:17) -- I take this to be conversion.
2. The inheritance was gives once. Thus, there is no more inheritance to be given. This would take care of much of the enabling.
3. The father did, as we should, take the return at face value. (Luke 17:4) If your brother comes to you saying, "I repent," thou shalt forgive him.

The prodigal son repented (changed his life). Apart from repentance, there isn't restoration.

A continued life of debauchery has no parallel with the parable.

Towards His own, the love of God is unlimited, but also He will move to address those sin issues due to that love!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back