Sola Scriptura

Status
Not open for further replies.

sotzo

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is the best evidence that putting Tradition on par with Scripture is a novelty of Roman Catholicism? In other words,, what is the best evidence to support the view that what the Reformers did was reinstate the primacy of Scripture to where it had existed in the Church prior to Rome?

The apostles are dead, and therefore unwritten apostolic tradition does not exist. Sola Scriptura kicked in when they drew their last breath. The Catholic needs to offer positive evidence that this authority is continuing in order to attack the material sufficiency of Scripture (i.e. that Scripture has all the information necessary for salvation), while he may use various arguments about interpretations to attack the formal sufficiency of Scripture (i.e. that no authoritative interpreter is required; Scripture interprets Scripture), which I can also discuss if you would like.

The apostles are dead, and therefore unwritten apostolic tradition does not exist. Sola Scriptura kicked in when they drew their last breath. The Catholic needs to offer positive evidence that this authority is continuing in order to attack the material sufficiency of Scripture (i.e. that Scripture has all the information necessary for salvation), while he may use various arguments about interpretations to attack the formal sufficiency of Scripture (i.e. that no authoritative interpreter is required; Scripture interprets Scripture), which I can also discuss if you would like.

Ben:

Wouldn't the positive evidence from their standpoint be a defense of Matt 16:18 as indicating that apostolic tradition did not die with the apostles?

Do you know any good books on this topic?

For a sound introductory article, one might consult with profit John Murray's "Tradition: Romish and Protestant," Collected Writings 4:264-273.

Ben:

Wouldn't the positive evidence from their standpoint be a defense of Matt 16:18 as indicating that apostolic tradition did not die with the apostles?

They would have to do a marvelous exegesis to get that out of Matt. 16:18. If a Catholic were to attempt to prove his position from the Bible, he would almost immediately lose. It is an unfortunate truth for him.

Do you know any good books on this topic?

Post Reformation Reformed Dogmatics, Volume 2, Holy Scriptures: The Cognitive Foundation of Theology, by Richard A Muller
ISBN: 0-8010-6299-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back