Shame: it's loss a good or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
While undeniably we no longer have to live in shame due to Christ I can't help but wonder if shame's driving force can be an antidote to our current cultural moment. What do you think? While of course the law drives to Christ, it seems many who claim him and certainly many more who don't, don't experience a lot of shame or guilt since everything is now a disease or orientation. Does shame, different from guilt, at least in my mind, have a place? Can there be a balance with grace? It seems as though there is little gray.

If I remember correctly, Thomas Watson in his Doctrine of Repentance lists shame as an integral part of repentance.

I would say ‘Yes,’ there is a place for the correct type of shame in the Christian life.

Yes, proper shame keeps us humble and keeps the will desiring righteousness. But shame can't consume us. It is only a piece of the whole pie.

In Eastern Europe the culture is driven by shame, and usually without guilt. I believe that's keeping the tide of LGBT and other liberal stuff from infiltrating that fast in our society, but it has it's own disadvantages. Unfortunately, I sense that even the shame in the younger generations is lost.

I think this highlights a major problem with our culture.. I agree that by and large, western society especially liberalising agendas seeks to nullify shame as a concept. Is this not an attempt to silence the feeling of shame as a consequence for sin? Then is it not a manifestation of suppressing of the truth in unrighteousness?

As we know shame comes from the conscience and as a consequence of the work of the Holy Spirit in convicting the world through the ministry of the word of God.

Among the Puritans, Thomas Watson was not alone in teaching shame as a fundamental element of confession of sin. To sin brazenly evidences a searing of the conscience.

And how we deal with our shame is of the utmost importance. It either leads to hardening the heart, despair, or by believing the grace of God in Jesus Christ it drives us to Him.

Last edited:
For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 5:20-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back