Science and Math trouble..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Shahan

Puritan Board Sophomore
How do you get through college biology and algegra? I can't stand either of these two disciplines and I am not doing well in either of these 2 classes. I go to the tutor for my math 3times a week. I just took a math test and there were problems that I did know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:banghead: :banghead: :rant: :rant: I know there are some people on the board that actually like math and science......... I just want to pass the class. I might not pass these classes. I am almost done with my undergrad and I have these 2 classes standing in my way!!!!!!!!!!! I could careless about genetic engenering or however you spell it. Sorry for :rant: I just can't stand taking a test and knowing that I didn't do that well on it and especially when I studied for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: I need some prayer to get me through these classes. I just finished studying Darwin's theory of evolution and they taught the "theory" as being factual. And they say that this is a "Christian" college. This college teaches nothing but humanism and relativism. Anyway I guess there isn't anything I can do about that test now. I know I am not interested in flunking these classes and having to come back and take them again. I tried to get through college algebra 3 different times in the past and I ended up having to drop the class. Thanks for listening.........:detective:

I'm sorry. :(

With the biology . . . yeah, that's what you're going to get. It's frustrating . . . but my advice is to just learn the material the best you can, and realize that the tests are determining how well you learned the material - not asking for the truth!

in my opinion, math is beautiful. Even when it's really hard . . . well, actually, the harder stuff is more beautiful than the easy stuff. But even for those of us with math/science oriented brains, it can take a while before it "clicks". So I'll shut up & pray for you!

P.S. Congratulations on being almost done! When do you graduate?

Scott, you need to teach yourself to look for the beauty and majesty of the orderliness of God's creation. You cannot study these sciences without running into the handiwork and glory of the creator. You need to stop fighting these disciplines and cultivate an eager expectation in learning.

Even in studying evolution you will be studying common evidence. We all have the same evidence and it must be interpreted through a worldview. You will learn to defend the faith better by understanding how the material-only worldview discards certain evidence. You will know how to refute their method and turn it against them.

Algebra is simply an abstract of the logic that God has given us to enhance critical thinking. These are tools that you do in fact need, not because you need to show you can solve a quadratic equation, but because this same analytical 'karate' will be used over and over as you think critically about anything.

Don't fight these things brother, embrace them as if they were the tools of the faith defender - BECAUSE THEY ARE!

I hate math as well, had no passion for it in college, Greek was alot like math some days and was very difficult for me.

As the New Kids on the Block (generation gap? oh well) used to say you gotta' stay "Hangin' Tough", you can chill when it is over but for now your primary calling is student so be studious.

I'd hate to tell you that "D" is for diploma or "C" for celebrate but we all have our weaknesses and strengths and different colleges and professors are of variety of degrees of difficulty and usefullness.

Pass and enjoy it in your rearview mirror just as I did by taking a Greek institute one summer, believe me it stank to take a whole year of Greek in 3 1/2 weeks.

Greek II (twice)

With you my friend. I am learning languages at school, withdrew once and failed once! School can be tough and I know I myself must work harder or I will fail again (at about $400 per credit hour)

I am happy about my last quiz grade though. I got 100% - (the teacher was very ill, walked in, said a prayer, and told us he believed we had studied for the quiz which was a goal in and of itself, and gave us all 100% before bowing out to go to bed........."and there was much rejoicing")

Scott Shahan;

What got me through Biology was looking at it not from the science aspect but more considering God's creation through the science of Biology.

Like WOW, look at how God created all of these chromosomes placing in them just the right order to create a bird, or a frog, or a person. Looking at how God uses sunlight and plants to create just the right mixture so that we have air in which to even breath.

When my Professor (who was a member of the PC USA) would give us essay type questions on the test, I would include those thoughts in my answers, and I wish I could remember how she worded an extra credit essay question on the final exam. It was about using Scripture to explain how creation and science and how they can apply to each other.

I said something about how each day of creation built upon the other, from God creating the Heavens and the Earth, creating the sun and moon, the water and the plants in order to create the exact mixtures needed in order for animals and mankind to survive. It's been a number of years ago, and I don't remember my exact answer, but I got the extra credit!!

And as far as math goes, well, I can't help you there, I have yet to get past the pre-algebra classes and have failed or dropped that class three times myself. However, I will try again in the future, with a different teacher, and prayerfully I can get through that and the second class in order to get to College level math, and as of now those are the ones preventing me from getting my Associates degree.

I don't know what it is, but when it comes to replacing numbers with letters it confuses me. I don't know why, because I know I can look at a parking lot and say Okay there are X number of cars parked there..and I understand X will not be known unless I stand there and count them all, but one day it will all click and make sense...that day just hasn't come yet.

but I will certainly be praying for you about it.

Scott,
I can relate somewhat to your frustration. For me, it was college chemistry. I remember sitting in one of those classes, and the teacher started writing on the left side of the chalk board and just continued all the way to the left side. It was one of those auditorium classes, so the chalk board was extra large. I was busy taking notes, trying to keep up with her. About halfway through her journey across the chalk board, it dawned on my that I didn't have the faintest idea what she was talking about. It was like listening to a foreign language. I started thinking, "What am I doing here???". I put my pen down and had a good (quiet) laugh at the situation.

The first two trimesters I managed to do "D" best that I could. The last trimester, I didn't do nearly as well, and it came down to my last lab class. We had to identify which chemicals were in some substances by running some tests on them. I asked the instructor if there was any way that I could pass the class. He looked at my grades and told me that if I passed that lab that day, that he'd pass me. I was up for the challenge, so I took my time and somehow (by God's grace, I'm sure) managed to identify all the chemicals. Now its all behind me.

I'd like to encourage you to just hang tough, brother, and just do the best you can. Some things in college aren't the most fascinating things, or the most easy things, to learn, but maybe just look at it as an opportunity to discipline yourself. Most of the stuff I learned in college I've never used since, but just getting through the experience is a good opportunity for growth.

Bob

Last edited:
Where are you at in Algebra? Did you do well in math in high school? If not, you should take pre-algebra first, it really will make a difference! Trust me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back