Saw a bumper sticker this afternoon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
It read,

There is only ONE God. Stop applying for the position.

At first I like it. But the more I think about it the more I wonder if a bumper sticker is the proper medium for getting this particular message across.

Thoughts?

That's certainly true, Vic.

Perhaps it's a way of getting a point across. Though I don't know of anyone that has changed their position on any topic because of a bumper sticker.

Though, come to think of it, I do recall a well know reformed preacher saying that the 5 solas were the bumper sticker messages of their day.

It's clever and serves a bumper sticker purpose, which is to get you to stop and think a minute. It could be a seed for something deeper later on. So I wouldn't be too quick to criticize it, though I agree that in general Christian bumper stickers are suspect.

The problem with Christian bumper stickers is there's no life witness to go with the message. You don't know the driver. So you interpret the bumper sticker according to whatever preconceptions you already have of Christians. I might read that sticker and think "good reminder to be humble." But someone else will think "there's goes another bossy Christian telling me I'm wrong." So a good message is lost for lack of the personal contact that might make it winsome.

The problem with Christian bumper stickers is there's no life witness to go with the message.

There is if he's going 95 mph (& not on the Autobahn)
Very true. And I seldom encounter another vehicle and think "what a courteous driver." I give no one credit for driving properly. I only get annoyed when they do something wrong. Does that make a bumper sticker one of the worst contexts for effective witnessing?

I think the bumper sticker is great and it's accurate. Will it change someone's heart to love God or harden it to hate Him? I doubt it, but even it did either of those, it would ultimately be God doing the work, so it's kind of irrelevant anyway.

I saw vanity tags the other day that said "No Dogma" and I'm still wondering if this was a person who believed "no creed but Christ," someone who tries to hold to no belief at all, or someone who is trying to put down all belief systems based on a well-stated foundation. If he's trying to get me to think, he has certainly succeeded!

That's some food for thought as was pointed out I hope that person is driving well

Here's one I like:

God Predestined Bumper Stickers from Zazzle.com

Excellent!
2v9votu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back