Samuel Rutherford: The magistrate is not to coerce faith, but to restrain wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I know not any, that ever I read, or heard, said, the sword of men can compel the mind, or compel men in things of the mind; for let the persecuting Emperors, and all the Tyrants on earth, armed with the fury and power of the Prince of the bottomless pit, torture, torment, or kill, they cannot reach soul, mind, will, conscience and affections, we never said that the sword is a means of converting souls to Christ, or that Religion is, or can be compelled: but we hold that the sword is an external, though not simply necessary means to hinder wolves and grievous foxes to destroy the souls of others, by bringing out of their corrupt minds in word, writing, teaching, professing another Gospel, such as fleshly and abominable familism; now the not perverting of the souls of others, the only object of the Magistrates sword, is not the conversion, nor any sign that the false teacher thus hindered to hurt the flock, is converted to the faith.

The Magistrate then defendeth only, and guardeth the Law of God and Church from pestilent heresy, but neither he, nor his sword is hereby made a means, way, or cause of conversion of souls, or propagating the Gospel: who ever usurp the sword to defend ravening wolves, that, with such doctrine destroys the flock of Christ, they give their power to the beast, and their horns and strength to the false Prophet, and I writ it, God shall deliver souls out of their captivity; (for the elect cannot finally be seduced, Matth. 24.24.)

For the reference, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back