Same-sex marriage motion is defeated at Northern Ireland Assembly‏

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is the Northern Ireland jurisdiction separate from Scotland, England, and Wales for this sort of thing?

Yes it is Tim. Amnesty International said prior to the decision that a legal challenge could be mounted if marriage isn't redefined in Northern Ireland and it is in the rest of the UK. It was previously rejected in Northern Ireland in October and this time round, it was defeated by slightly more votes.

I searched Sky News and there has been no mention of it there either. I wonder if this news is to be kept quiet in order to avoid galvanising those who are seeking to hold to the Biblical position on marriage.

Good news, Scott. As for the news media hiding info that isn't in line with their purpose, we know all about that here in the 'States

I can't believe the Roman Catholic church is letting so many of its Members vote for this without at least criticising them.

The same can be said for Romish MSPs in my own Home Nation, who have (a majority of them) a desire to vote through this stuff.

Living here I am delighted with the vote but fear this issue hasn't gone away and its only a matter of time before it eventually comes into law. There is a strong conservative church influence over the unionist population whilst the nationalist population have a strong RC which reflects itself in such decisions.

In answer to Tim's question although one country ie the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, each country within the UK has its own devolved government which has a degree of autonomy as allowed by Westminster. When it comes to moral issues, Northern Ireland has been much more rigid in relation to the likes of abortion where the law here on abortion is different to the rest of the UK.

In the Irish Republic the RC influence has kept out abortion altogether and I do believe the law has changed recently but certainly there was no divorce in the Irish Republic either until after the year 2000.

I thought Amnesty was about people locked up for their political or religious views.
I'm not surprised the BBC has buried this - they have been in the forefront of the "pro everything that the Bible is against" lobby for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back