"Sacred Stanza - An Anthology of Puritan Poems" - Question about title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hello all. I plan on working on a 3 vol. work entitled "Sacred Stanza - An Anthology of Puritan Poems." I was wondering what you all thought of the title? Is "sacred" there being misused? I use it not to reflect that it is inspired or infallible; but that the poetry is not secular, and is instead God orientated.

Last edited:
The use of "sacred" does not bother me. That word is broad enough and regularly applied to anything religious.

I don't love "stanza," though. It feels like forced alliteration. And the word is more strongly associated with hymns than with poems, requiring the reader to think, "Oh yes, poems have stanzas too," which is more work than you want to make the reader do when he sees a title. Not that you asked.

I also wouldn't have a problem with "Sacred" but iffy about "Stanza." Think it should be "stanzas" anyway, but to me it sounds overly technical (a term from stylistic analysis of poetry) and somehow makes me think of isolated verse units rather than a collection of poems.

Dave, how about, "Sacred Sonnets" or "Sacred Soliloquies" or "Sacred Songs", or "Holy Haikus" or "Lovely Lyrics"? :)

Thank you all for your input. Was thinking more along the lines of a catchy title as opposed to fleshing out the potential readers response. Most likely it will have the explanation "An Anthology of Puritan Poetry." But since you all did make good points, I think I will go with the short and sweetest out of the suggestions, and the one that seems to convey at face value what the book is.

"Sacred Sonnets - A Compilation of Puritan Poems."

Thank you again all for your input and constructive criticism.

Thank you all for your input. Was thinking more along the lines of a catchy title as opposed to fleshing out the potential readers response. Most likely it will have the explanation "An Anthology of Puritan Poetry." But since you all did make good points, I think I will go with the short and sweetest out of the suggestions, and the one that seems to convey at face value what the book is.

"Sacred Sonnets - A Compilation of Puritan Poems."

Thank you again all for your input and constructive criticism.
Not to throw a spanner into the works but...a sonnet is technically defined as "a poem of fourteen lines using any of a number of formal rhyme schemes, in English typically having ten syllables per line." How about "Sacred Verse" or "Sacred Poetry"?

Not to throw a spanner into the works but...a sonnet is technically defined as "a poem of fourteen lines using any of a number of formal rhyme schemes, in English typically having ten syllables per line." How about "Sacred Verse" or "Sacred Poetry"?
Yes. I noticed that yesterday, but was going to see if I could get away with it as a general term instead of a technical one, lol.
Been thinking, I may instead go with:

HOLY POESY
A Compilation of Puritan Poems

or

ZION'S RHYME
A Compilation of Puritan Poems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back