RPNA excommunications

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Came across this completely unlooked for. Looks like some troubles in the RPNA. Yep, its about the SL&C.
http://taron.net/letters/?p=40
Any thoughts on the fact that the session is operating as an international one; with a TE one place and the ruling elders in another country? They adduce a lot of material to prove they can operate as a lawful session court.

I think, under the circumstances of the NT, the Elders of a single city or small province would organize under one court. They then would be divided to watch over and minister to the various christian assemblies in the area. But I think all that is essential for any legal and authoratative judicature is two or more Elders. What I don't understand is that if they thought they had a Presbytery at one time why didn't they ordain more Elders (certainly there were men qualified enough to be REs)? Any way, my prayers are with these guys.

I dunno the answer to that. I suspect I'm right though when I say I don't think we have a NT example of a regional session stretching across an area the size that would accommodate Albany NY and Edmonton, AB, some 2500 miles between them? I do think we should pray for the folks entangled in this outfit.

I do have some inside information on this case. They look at their excommunication from the R"P"NA as a good thing. I would, too. They are also looking at the possibility of moving sometime in the near future, to be closer to a good Presbyterian church -- possibly mine. But please pray for them. They have been with the Edmonton Steelites for a long while, and still have many close friends in that group, who are now to drop all "familiar fellowship" with them.

And I call them the R"P"NA to indicate the Reformed "Presbytery" of North America -- since they aren't a presbytery, even by their own admission (they call themselves the General Meeting of the RPNA). And that being the case, I don't see how one minister and two ruling elders have power to excommunicate a family thousands of miles away (the family lives in Washington state), aside from the consideration that the minister is in NY and the elders in AB.

Whatever church (a solid Presbyterian one I trust) they join they should get the rejection of the excommunication spread on the minutes. This will take a session with some patience to delve into the matter I expect (nothing is ever shortly written with the RPNA is it?).

One would think it was a systemic weakness of a position on the SL&C when there are not even 2 pastors in the world willing to hold to that position.

But then again, who needs pastors, teachers, elders, Sessions, Presbyteries or church discipline, when you have the SL&C. After all, if the SL&C was good enough for Paul in Ephesians 4, it should be good enough for us.

Oh, that's right - the Bible never mentions the SL&C, but it does say a couple of things about pastors, teachers, elders, etc.

For the record, no one posting on the outside thread on the R-F-W forum linked above is disparaging the SL&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back