Romans 5:6 and Ephesians 2:5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie

Puritan Board Junior
I have been looking deeper in Romans, and remembered reading in Ephesians almost a contradictory verse.

Anyone here care to shed some thought on why Romans 5:6 says we are only without strength (implied that we were alive, but couldn't reach for our salvation) and Ephesians 2:5 implies that we are in fact dead in our sins, with absolutely no ability to save ourselves, or even reach out to Him?

Anyone here care to shed some thought on why Romans 5:6 says we are only without strength (implied that we were alive, but couldn't reach for our salvation) and Ephesians 2:5 implies that we are in fact dead in our sins, with absolutely no ability to save ourselves, or even reach out to Him?

Ephesians 2:1-3, likewise implies a kind of life -- "walked according to the course of this world." The "death" is that of a condemned criminal, which is colloquially but accurately described as a "dead man walking." In the eyes of the law he is as good as dead. Another way to look at the death of Eph. 2 is to compare it with 4:17-19, and especially "alienated from the life of God." Spiritually, that is, in relation to God, there was no real life -- no life in abundance, no life everlasting, no life in union and communion with God -- no life as it was intended to be lived. "Without strength" is another way of describing the same condition. Without any spiritual ability or vitality in relation to God and His requirements.

While I was looking this up, I got this reply from my pastor...which puts everything in context.

"Romans is talking about justification and Ephesians is talking about regeneration. In Romans Paul is saying that we were helpless and is not addressing our nature but our position before God. But in Ephesians he is addressing our nature that we are dead in sin especially vs: 2 & 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back