Robert Letham's "The Holy Trinity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim G

Puritan Board Junior
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this :confused: since I didn't buy this book. But I did just borrow it from the library. Does that count? :think:

I'd never heard of the book before (or the author; I'm relatively new to Reformed literature) but the first thirty pages or so have been really interesting. Anyone here read the book before? I noticed a review on the back cover by J. I. Packer so I figured it had to be good. :lol:

Groundbreaking on the Trinity? My first thought on hearing that is "yikes". Can you explain a little more?

Well "groundbreaking" in the sense of its clarity and readability for the non-high academic on an issue that is usually very high academic, not in its "new ideas" but its ability to elucidate Orthodoxy. Sorry to cause confusion.

In my opinion, one of the two best books on the Trinity, the other being volume 4 of Muller's PRRD. They complement each other nicely, since Letham only deals with Calvin and Luther in the Reformation tradition, but deals fairly comprehensively with the rest of the tradition, whereas Muller only really looks at the Post-Reformation tradition and the secondary lit on that corpus. The two together are wonderful.

No problem, Benjamin. I thought Olyott's The Three Are One did a good job of being simple as well.

I recommend Letham to all my students as the best readable book on the doctrine of the Trinity they'll find. He is clear, reliable, and accessible.

There are other books out there, but they don't cover the ground historically, theologically, and biblically in one book with lucidity.

Cheers.

The book is magnificent. I am re-reading it. His critiques of the lack of trinitarianism in Evangelical world is damning. The book is just too good. I was amused that P & R published it, and a lot of conservatives (rightly) endorsed it, given the rather positive chapter on Karl Barth! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back