Robert Dabney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, if I'm not mistaken the Dabney article on pointsouth is copywrited. I don't know if links violate that or not.

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by LawrenceU]

He at one time, due to chaotic conditions, was briefly in command of a combined artillery/infantry unit, which he handled brilliantly.

Didn't he save the Day at Seven Pines? In one of the battles in the Peninsula Campaign Jackson's rear-guard was in disarray and Dabney covered/regained the artillery and kept it from being a rout. As a result, if my battles are correct, Lincoln thought that the Jackson had more men with him and delayed attacking.

Yes, Dabney saved the day. He had FIFTEEN infantry and a very new barely trained battery.

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by LawrenceU]

Yes. If it wasn't for the fact that Jackson got up early and insisted that he staff go with him on vigorous rounds on horseback, Dabney would have stuck it out. But he had hemorrhoids, so things just didn't work out :lol:

This isn't quite the picture one gets from the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Lewis-Dabney-Presbyterian-Biographies/dp/0875526632/sr=8-2/qid=1159628197/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-6430220-3211250?ie=UTF8&s=books]biography[/ame] by Sean Michael Lucas. He makes it sound as if Dabney was almost immediately too worn out to be a soldier( he lasted about 5 months, I believe ) and while recovering at home, he felt so bad about losing his "manly honour" in battle that he turned to writing rather harsh attacks upon the North and went so far as to polarize his position upon slavery so that rather than supporting the gradual freeing of the slaves, he took to the notion that slavery was really the best option available for such folk and was a perfectly sound institution. He( Lucas ) dwelt upon the theme of the antebellum conception of "manly honour" and alleged that Dabney had a great weakness in regard to his perceived "manly honour" which drove him to extremes, since his body could not bear up to the strains of manly warfare. I left the bio feeling disgusted with Dabney in some respects. Was that a fair bio? I believe the earlier bios were accused of not being critical enough of him; was, on the other hand, the modern bio too critical of him?

Well, Stonewall Jackson said he was one of the finest officers he had. But what did Stonewall know? (I am familiar with Lucas' work on Dabney).

He( Lucas ) dwelt upon the theme of the antebellum conception of "manly honour" and alleged that Dabney had a great weakness in regard to his perceived "manly honour" which drove him to extremes, since his body could not bear up to the strains of manly warfare.

It's hard to take stuff like this seriously. Btw, I am critiquing Lucas on this one, not you.

To answer your question, I haven't finished Lucas' work but I get the impression that Lucas didn't like the South, didn't like Dabney, etc.

[Edited on 9--30-06 by Draught Horse]

[Edited on 9--30-06 by Draught Horse]

Lucas's work receives some critical treatment in the review in Confessional Presbyterian volume 2 now available; written by Dr. C. N. Willborn who found it personally a very difficult review to write since he is friends with Lucas.
http://www.cpjournal.com

This isn't quite the picture one gets from the biography by Sean Michael Lucas. He makes it sound as if Dabney was almost immediately too worn out to be a soldier( he lasted about 5 months, I believe ) and while recovering at home, he felt so bad about losing his "manly honour" in battle that he turned to writing rather harsh attacks upon the North and went so far as to polarize his position upon slavery so that rather than supporting the gradual freeing of the slaves, he took to the notion that slavery was really the best option available for such folk and was a perfectly sound institution. He( Lucas ) dwelt upon the theme of the antebellum conception of "manly honour" and alleged that Dabney had a great weakness in regard to his perceived "manly honour" which drove him to extremes, since his body could not bear up to the strains of manly warfare. I left the bio feeling disgusted with Dabney in some respects. Was that a fair bio? I believe the earlier bios were accused of not being critical enough of him; was, on the other hand, the modern bio too critical of him?

Dabney hardened his position on slavery and became embittered against the North because he had hemorroids? Hmmm...where'd I put that phone number for the National Enquirer?

Dabney hardened his position on slavery and became embittered against the North because he had hemorroids? Hmmm...where'd I put that phone number for the National Enquirer?
That particular problem can make a man angry at the world!:rofl:

I already regeret this post, even before I click "submit reply."

If Dabney was sympathetic or in agreement with antebellum slavery, how does that effect his legacy?

Oh, and could the answers to this question not be frought with emotion? I'm not trying to rip open the scab between the north and south. My question is genuine.

I already regeret this post, even before I click "submit reply."

If Dabney was sympathetic or in agreement with antebellum slavery, how does that effect his legacy?

Oh, and could the answers to this question not be frought with emotion? I'm not trying to rip open the scab between the north and south. My question is genuine.

Brother -- There are several other threads dealing with the pros and cons of Dabney's views on slavery. Would you mind bumping one of them up or starting a new one? I would be most grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back