Richard Sibbes on the art of bearing troubles

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
There is an art or skill of bearing troubles, if we could learn it, without overmuch troubling of ourselves, as in bearing of a burden there is a way so to poise it that it weigheth not over heavy: if it hangs all on one side, it poises the body down. The greater part of our troubles we pull upon ourselves, by not parting our care so, as to take upon us only the care of duty, and leave the rest to God; and by mingling our passions with our crosses, and like a foolish patient, chewing the pills which we should swallow down.

We dwell too much upon the grief, when we should remove the soul higher. We are nearest neighbours unto ourselves. When we suffer grief, like a canker, to eat into the soul, and like a fire in the bones, to consume the marrow and drink up the spirits, we are accessory to the wrong done both to our bodies and souls: we waste our own candle, and put out our light.

For the reference, see:

This was excellent. Thank you for sharing. It seems like the book from where this passage comes from was written for me. I'll give it a read next.

This little phrase will stay with me for some time - thank you for this post.

This was excellent. Thank you for sharing. It seems like the book from where this passage comes from was written for me. I'll give it a read next.
Friends, I warmly recommend Richard Sibbes. He was known as the Heavenly Doctor.

Some time ago I made this comment about two blessed Sibbes books:
The Bruised Reed is a great book to read for mental health as well as sanctification. Also it's sister book 'The Soul's conflict' which nicely compliments 'The Bruised Reed'.

The publisher I linked to above says of 'the Soul's Conflict' "In taking Sibbes slowly the reader will find some of the most sweetly written paragraphs in puritan literature and theological preaching. It is a treatise on Psalm 42:5 and 11, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance…and my God.” Sibbes is an able master exegete who, many times, is thinking far faster than he is writing. His desire to see his thoughts explode upon the page occur frequently, but in a few spots, most angelically. This is not a work to read once. It is one to study, reread and then soak in."

I was first alerted to the spiritual benefits of reading Sibbes after I read a famous quote from Martyn Lloyd-Jones

You will find, I think, in general that the Puritans are almost invariably helpful . . . I shall never cease to be grateful to one of them called Richard Sibbes who was balm to my soul at a period in my life when I was overworked and badly overtired, and therefore subject in an unusual manner to the onslaughts of the devil. In that state and condition . . . what you need is some gentle, tender treatment for your soul. I found at that time that Richard Sibbes, who was known in London in the early seventeenth century as “the heavenly Doctor Sibbes”, was an unfailing remedy. His books The Bruised Reed and The Soul’s Conflict quietened, soothed, comforted, encouraged and healed me.

Emphasis added

You're all so right, like most I have had grief and dark nights of the soul, and brother Sibbes has been a balm to my soul again and again. After the Lord, of course, I should like to meet him in eternity straight away and rain kisses upon his cheek.

I forgot to mention this earlier. Banner of Truth have brought out a devotional based on Sibbes best works. It us aptly named 'Refreshment for the soul '

Back