Resources for women struggling with lust

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeD

Puritan Board Freshman
Do any of my fellow PBers know of any good resources I (or my wife) could recommend to women who struggle with lustful thoughts and fantasy? I have seen books by Shannon Elderidge like "Every Woman's Battle" or "Fantasy Fallacy", but I do not know if they are quality helps. Any insight or recommendations will be appreciated!

Great topic! As one who strugged with this issue, John Owen. Seriously. John Owen. And John Piper's sermons are very helpful too. Also Reformed santification books like Monergism's John Hendryx: http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Our-Sa...950&sr=1-11-spell&keywords=santification+john Me not as much, but some find Jerry Bridges helpful on the issue of sanctification and sin.

I have looked at nearly all the current books at the "Christian bookstores" for men or women and believe they are unbiblical. Usually they come from a pentecostal/methodist view, which means legalistic sanctification methods are endorsed. I avoid the Elderidges and Arterburns like the :flamingscot:plague:flamingscot:. They have some terrible teachings and I interpret them as having Pentecostal/Word Faith cult-leaning and I always found the authors pulling verse after verse out of context. "The Battle" books never did anything for me.

Last edited:
Though not specifically for women only, some of the CCEF will definitely apply. Some examples specifically are Powlison's Seeing With New Eyes and Welch's Addiction: A Banquet in the Grave. Powlison has also given some talks that would be helpful. Just search at monergism.org

I have a lot of CCEF booklets and haven't found these too helpful on the subject. They are too brief and mainly what I got from them was what I already knew - don't do it, go to God with it. :p I found them too brief to deal with such a difficult subject and it would be hard for me to imagine someone using these booklets to battle lust.

I have not tried the books that Zack suggests by Powlison and Welch but hard to imagine them killing sin like John Owen. :D Owen has several books on sin and sanctification (including Mortification of Sin) and these are all fantastic for the subject and for dealing with all sin issues. It is more than just "stop doing whatever" "cut it off" "throw it out" and "try to look the other way" "have an accountability partner" "pray". He goes into killing sin by really looking at its destructiveness and seeing it for what it really is. Part of the issue is we lie to ourselves and say "If I do this... it will be good for me." Owen addresses the issue straight on like no one I've ever read. You feel it after reading him.

I have a lot of CCEF booklets and haven't found these too helpful on the subject. They are too brief and mainly what I got from them was what I already knew - don't do it, go to God with it. :p I found them too brief to deal with such a difficult subject and it would be hard for me to imagine someone using these booklets to battle lust.

I have not tried the books that Zack suggests by Powlison and Welch but hard to imagine them killing sin like John Owen. :D Owen has several books on sin and sanctification (including Mortification of Sin) and these are all fantastic for the subject and for dealing with all sin issues. It is more than just "stop doing whatever" "cut it off" "throw it out" and "try to look the other way" "have an accountability partner" "pray". He goes into killing sin by really looking at its destructiveness and seeing it for what it really is. Part of the issue is we lie to ourselves and say "If I do this... it will be good for me." Owen addresses the issue straight on like no one I've ever read. You feel it after reading him.

LOL. The books certainly are not pamphlets and even less Owen. Maybe one should go with Owen. I just wouldn't think to recommend Turretin for an intro to systematic theology either. ;) I recommended them as sources known to be helpful to men but not written exclusively for them.

A quick addendum: The crickets you hear in this thread no doubt have to do with people not thinking it is a women's "issue" per se. Most women who want help are absolutely petrified to ask for it. Women's infidelity is often explained in the context of other things rather than merely lust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back