Paedo-Baptism Answers Regarding Infant Baptism

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

I'm wondering what is your advice to someone who is convinced of infant baptism, but lives in a country where there is no Presbyterian/Reformed presence, hence not being able to baptise his/her infants. Exception being, there are only Methodist Churches and a lot of Eastern Orthodox who are paedobaptists, but who are far from being Reformed in theology.

aside from the baptism issue... are there any churches that faithfully (more or less) handle the Word of God and proclaim the true Gospel?

That is far more important than baptism. It would reflect the height of wrongheaded thinking to walk past a (basically faithful) church that doesn't affirm infant baptism and walk into an EO church with all of its gross errors and superstitions just for the sake of getting the children "baptized."

My personal question more specifically would be: Under specific circumstances(like abovementioned), could there be an exception where a person who isn't ordained, but is Reformed, spiritually mature, wise, and filled with the Spirit, might be allowed to administer a sacrament like baptism?

Last edited:
aside from the baptism issue... are there any churches that faithfully (more or less) handle the Word of God and proclaim the true Gospel?

That is far more important than baptism. It would reflect the height of wrongheaded thinking to walk past a (basically faithful) church that doesn't affirm infant baptism and walk into an EO church with all of its gross errors and superstitions just for the sake of getting the children "baptized."
I completely agree, sir. But the point of my post was, in view of obedience to the Lord's command, how should one approach this situation. And yes, glory to God, there are more or less faithful Gospel-believing churches here, albeit we need much reformation.

Assuming it is not feasible to live somewhere else...

You find the best church you can find where you live, one that preaches the gospel and has leaders who love Christ, and you join that church. If that church will not baptize your child nor make any provision for it, then let the child remain unbaptized. You will not be disobeying God, since you are not commanded to baptize anyone. You are commanded to find and join a gospel-preaching church, submit to its leaders, train your child well, etc.

Don't look for a way to sidestep your church or wiggle out of its authority. That would be disobedience to God's commands. Do share your desire with your church leaders, but honor them even if they rule against you. And try to be thankful for the church God has provided, not upset over what he has withheld.

Hello all,

I'm wondering what is your advice to someone who is convinced of infant baptism, but lives in a country where there is no Presbyterian/Reformed presence, hence not being able to baptise his/her infants. Exception being, there are only Methodist Churches and a lot of Eastern Orthodox who are paedobaptists, but who are far from being Reformed in theology.
I'd encourage such a person to reach out to Reformed churches or organizations in nearby countries. In your case, you might begin with Come Over And Help. They work as nearby as Serbia and Albania.

Assuming it is not feasible to live somewhere else...

You find the best church you can find where you live, one that preaches the gospel and has leaders who love Christ, and you join that church. If that church will not baptize your child nor make any provision for it, then let the child remain unbaptized. You will not be disobeying God, since you are not commanded to baptize anyone. You are commanded to find and join a gospel-preaching church, submit to its leaders, train your child well, etc.

Don't look for a way to sidestep your church or wiggle out of its authority. That would be disobedience to God's commands. Do share your desire with your church leaders, but honor them even if they rule against you. And try to be thankful for the church God has provided, not upset over what he has withheld.
I really appreciate this comment, sir! By the grace of God, I try to be thankful for His grace in providing a church here to worship Him and serve. Thank you for the encouragement to continue doing so.

I'd encourage such a person to reach out to Reformed churches or organizations in nearby countries. In your case, you might begin with Come Over And Help. They work as nearby as Serbia and Albania.

I've heard about them, and Lord willing, I was planning to reach out. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back