Recommend Me Some Bluegrass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Puritan Board Senior
As I read somewhere on the PB, "When you become a Christian you get rid of your secular music. When you become Reformed you get rid of your Christian music." My music taste has been fluctuating from genre to genre recently and I've really been enjoying Bluegrass recently. Any Bluegrass fans? What would you recommend?

Anything by Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys, Flatt & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers, Ralph Stanley .... Osborne Brothers ..... all old timey grass. Not sure about the recent stuff. I'm an old guy. :)

There's a distinction to be made between old time bluegrass (some call it "mountain music", such as the Stanley brothers, some Bill Monroe, etc.) and some of the more modern bluegrass. But some good musicians and singers are The Dillards, Byron Berline and his various bands (The Byron Berline Band, Country Gazette), Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, the Kentucky Colonels.

Depends on what you like, but these are some good places to start.

I agree. The modern bluegrass sound is nowhere near as appealing as anything by Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, etc. I'd start with the old timers.

A couple of the "tween" bluegrass bands (lost somewhere between the old time and modern groups in sound) I really enjoy are the now defunct Johnson Mountain Boys and also Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver.

Doc Watson is my all time favorite. If you're into old time string band stuff, The Fuzzy Mountain String Band is a good place to start. You may be amazed how much you can find at your local public library. Look for Smithsonian's "Folkways" recordings. Tons of good stuff there. Newer stuff will probably be more musically pleasing to the ear, but their lyrics aren't always the best. Nickel Creek, Bela Fleck's blugrass sessions, Jerry Douglas, Chatam County Line, The Hakensaw Boys, and many others...

Edit: By pleasing to the ear, I meant recording quality. I mean no disrespect to the talent of the old-timers. I just reread that and saw how confusing that statement could be!!

Nicklecreek, happens to be a good bluegrass like band. Doc Watson, one of my students introduce me to him, she is a distant relative of his.

Anything by Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys, Flatt & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers, Ralph Stanley .... Osborne Brothers ..... all old timey grass. Not sure about the recent stuff. I'm an old guy. :)

I agree with all of the selections recommended. If you want something new, I'm enjoying the following, which is up for a Grammy. And, it features my old fav, actor Steve Martin of SNL and movie fame.

Steve Martin And The Steep Canyon Rangers were nominated for a Grammy award for "Best Bluegrass Album" for their work "RARE BIRD ALERT."

This is a song I like a good bit. Also check out the Country Gentlemen. The two groups are affiliated somehow though I am not sure how.

[video=youtube;THpzO_wRCxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THpzO_wRCxI[/video]

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

One more thing, if you like classic rock you might find this interesting. It you look for "Picking On" you can find these bluegrass versions of songs such as the one here.

[video=youtube;7zWi1c7k_CA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWi1c7k_CA[/video]

I'd start with the O' Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

You could also tune in to WNCW and listen for a while for the full range.

Tim Eriksen. Perhaps it should just be considered American folk music, but it's highly enjoyable either way.

Sorry, can't recommend bluegrass, some ol' time music, but not bluegrass.

Some great contemporary selections:

-Cadillac Sky
-The Infamous Stringdusters
-Cherryholmes

I also love the Avett Brothers, but they are not bluegrass, or even newgrass, by any stretch.

Zach, if you take a look back through this music forum you'll see a lot of good stuff. Folk, old time, hymns, sacred harp and maybe some bluegrass. I was just being a wise guy above.

Here are some of my favourites.

Jay Bird's Favourtes - YouTube

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

[video=youtube;GCg2GH6OuXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCg2GH6OuXI&list=PL3B1D172B2C16305D&index=27&feature=plpp_video[/video]

All of Frank's muszak sounds gooood.

Let me say that I wholeheartedly agree with the premise of this thread. I cannot say I've given up secular music but my tastes have changed certainly. I've always had a penchant for folk type music, but after I was converted I began to listen to more country and alt-country - Mary Chapin Carpenter, Lucinda Williams. Though I appreciate some Christian bands (Third Day), most of CCM is just OK to me, I don't really listen to it regularly.

I can't say I'm a bluegrass expert neither but if you like the folksy side of things I'd recommend Gillian Welch (who just released a new album recently) and The Civil Wars. I'll also second Nickel Creek who are now defunct (though Chris Thile, the mandolin player, continues to make music with the likes of Yo Yo Ma!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back