Question on Luke 1:37

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElainaMor

Puritan Board Freshman
I was reading Luke 1 in NIV 2011 this morning and when I came to verse 37 it said this: "For no word from God will ever fail.” I didn't remember that verse saying that so I checked with other versions online and they all say: "For with God nothing is impossible." I'm wondering why the NIV translated that verse the way it did. Is it a mistranslation or translation choice? Just seems odd that the NIV is the only one that translates it this way.

I really want to like the NIV but when I come across quirks like this it really makes me doubt the translation.

Interesting. The 1984 NIV says something like "nothing is impossible with God." I know because I've taught it and had kids look it up in that Bible so as to make a connection to the Lord's statement to Sarah concerning her child in Genesis 18. This means the translators must have had something that caused them to make a deliberate change. I'm interested to learn what that might be, too.

The 1984 NIV says something like "nothing is impossible with God."

"For nothing is impossible with God"

This means the translators must have had something that caused them to make a deliberate change.

Well, it's the modern NIV crowd. They had reasons for all of their changes.

I really want to like the NIV

Why?

but when I come across quirks like this it really makes me doubt the translation.

That's not the biggest problem that you'll find with the modern versions of the NIV. If you are really set on the NIV, look in used book stores for the original version. TNIV and later are NOT suitable for use.

I really want to like the NIV

Why?

but when I come across quirks like this it really makes me doubt the translation.

That's not the biggest problem that you'll find with the modern versions of the NIV. If you are really set on the NIV, look in used book stores for the original version. TNIV and later are NOT suitable for use.

I'm not being combative but why not? Why is the NIV not good to use? I'm honestly asking cause I really don't know the differences between translations. Coming from a JW background I'm only familiar with the NWT. I just like the NIV because it's easy to understand. Another question, if not the NIV then what translation would you recommend?

Calvin says:
For no word shall be impossible with God. If we choose to take ῥη̑μα, word, in its strict and native sense, the meaning is, that God will do what he hath promised, for no hinderance can resist his power. The argument will be, God hath promised, and therefore he will accomplish it; for we ought not to allege any impossibility in opposition to his word. But as a word often means a thing in the idiom of the Hebrew language, (which the Evangelists followed, though they wrote in Greek,) we explain it more simply, that nothing is impossible with God

So it seems like the NIV 2011 tried to be more literal in rendering "word". It does seem to obscure the meaning a bit though.

While many on this board would limit themselves to the KJV, I'm not one of them. I'd recommend any of these over the TNIV or the NIV as presently sold, although any translation is going to have its drawbacks.

1984 NIV
New King James
ESV
Hollman
NET

Why is the NIV not good to use?

After the widespread success of the original NIV, they tried to broaden the market by coming out with the 'politically correct' gender neutral TNIV. While the current version (sold now as the NIV, but previously known as the NIV 2011) backed off of some of the worst excesses of the TNIV, it must be carefully parsed for remaining, less readily apparent, error.

I personally wouldn't prefer the ESV or the HCSB, but I would recommend these over the NIV 2011. I think the clarity you may be enjoying in the NIV may be likened to the following illustration which includes the use of two pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387588469.563330.jpg

For all the clarity each little square offers, when seen as a whole, the message becomes obscured. Not only so, but one is only allowed to see certain aspects of the whole according to the translator's obvious gender-neutral agenda.

Another translation may offer a bit more complexity, but the payoff is a clearer picture; as demonstrated below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387588720.581495.jpg

Reading a translation such as the NIV 2011 may offer a certain clarity, but this is an illusion. The NIV 2011 is oversimplified to a fault. This is illustrated by the first picture.

I personally wouldn't prefer the ESV or the HCSB, but I would recommend these over the NIV 2011. I think the clarity you may be enjoying in the NIV may be likened to the following illustration which includes the use of two pictures.

View attachment 3735

For all the clarity each little square offers, when seen as a whole, the message becomes obscured. Not only so, but one is only allowed to see certain aspects of the whole according to the translator's obvious gender-neutral agenda.

Another translation may offer a bit more complexity, but the payoff is a clearer picture; as demonstrated below.

View attachment 3736

Reading a translation such as the NIV 2011 may offer a certain clarity, but this is an illusion. The NIV 2011 is oversimplified to a fault. This is illustrated by the first picture.

I understand what you are saying and totally get it. Can I ask why you don't prefer the ESV or HCSB?

View attachment 3735

View attachment 3736

I understand what you are saying and totally get it. Can I ask why you don't prefer the ESV or HCSB?

I don't use the ESV and HCSB because they are translated from texts I have found to be questionable. I am not one who has researched all there is to know about the underlying textual issues of our bibles, and I don't have the time either, but I have read and heard enough to cause me take a side. Personally, I think the KJV and NKJV are safer bets on what are reliable translations because of their underlying manuscript tradition. All this is not to say that other translations are un-Christian no more than I would say that there is only one true Christian denomination. I believe we should choose our translations like we choose our churches—some have the appearance of being better than others. All a person can do is study to a reasonable conclusion and go forward. I have stared down the rabbit hole on this textual issue and I found I could not go all the way with pursuing it. There are many on this board who would choose ESV over KJV; and visa-versa. I used to read the ESV and I loved it. Then I wanted to know more. With knowledge comes conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back