Predestination applies to the Human nature of Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henoch

Puritan Board Freshman
So I am currently reading one of Calvin's theological tractates in Latin: The eternal predestination of God (De aeterna Dei praedestinatione adversus Albertum Pighium Campensem et Georgium Siculum) and he quotes one of Augustine's arguments(from his work on the Predestination of the saints) which to be honest I find quite confusing. He seems to say that the human nature of Christ was predestined to be God?
Moreover, the most illustrious Light of predestination and grace is the Saviour Himself — the Mediator Himself between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. And, pray, by what preceding merits of its own, whether of works or of faith, did the human nature which is in Him procure for itself that it should be this? Let this have an answer, I beg. [B]That man, whence did He deserve this — to be assumed by the Word co-eternal with the Father into unity of person, and be the only-begotten Son of God? [/B]Was it because any kind of goodness in Him preceded? What did He do before? What did He believe? What did He ask, that He should attain to this unspeakable excellence? Was it not by the act and the assumption of the Word that that man, from the time He began to be, began to be the only Son of God?

Could anyone make sense out of this?

Last edited:
I read it this way: To consider the condition of Jesus of Nazareth from any other stance--as if this man was nonpredestined to his life and labor--produces an absurd conclusion. It is absurd to suppose that he earned (by doing, by asking, by believing) his appointment. But assuming the human nature that the Son of God did assume was a purely divine decision and act of imposition. The flesh of Jesus of Nazareth was not consulted. Therefore, he is (in the totality of his theanthropic nature) the ultimate example of predestined human life and destiny.

I read it this way: To consider the condition of Jesus of Nazareth from any other stance--as if this man was nonpredestined to his life and labor--produces an absurd conclusion. It is absurd to suppose that he earned (by doing, by asking, by believing) his appointment. But assuming the human nature that the Son of God did assume was a purely divine decision and act of imposition. The flesh of Jesus of Nazareth was not consulted. Therefore, he is (in the totality of his theanthropic nature) the ultimate example of predestined human life and destiny.
Thanks for the answer brother, Appreciate it! I also love the conclusion he draws from it namely since Christ is the head of the body and his human assumption was predestinated, we the members also are predestinated, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back