prayer and sovereignty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would offer that although God is sovereign and has planned all things, He has ordained means to bring them about - and the prayer of His people is one of them.

'...you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it. Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them' Ezekiel 36:36-37

Part of God's sovereign plan is that we learn faith, childlike reliance, godly desiring, gratitude, appreciation of his goodness, delight in his gifts, and confidence in his care... all through prayer. To this end, he may sovereignly withhold some good things until we pray for them, as part of his training of us.

That's the short version. The longer version, which I hope I've summarized correctly, can be found in Calvin's Institutes, Ch. XX, 1-3. Highly recommended on this topic.

Upon being asked how he reconciled divine sovereignty and human responsibility, Charles H. Spurgeon simply replied, “I do not try to reconcile friends.”

I think this is the best illustration of them working together. Emphasis mine.
God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him.
(Gen. 17:19)
And Isaac prayed to the Lord for his wife, because she was barren. And the Lord granted his prayer, and Rebekah his wife conceived.
(Gen. 25:21)

prayer and sovereignty
how do we reconcile these two? short pithy answers please

Some things simply cannot be answered adequately with short, pithy answers. Unfortunately, that is why many today struggle with the DoG. They don't have the patience for 'precept upon precept; line upon line.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back