Personal Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
I am having a problem finding information on personal safety. I am helping with a class of international students (mostly from China) at my university who know nothing about western culture or keeping themselves safe. I, being a young male, have little life experience in this field. All I can say is what I have experienced and I do not trust my judgment. We need to have a talk on personal safety with the students - I will have help but the old people, not being westeners, dont know much more than me. I have been looking on the internet but all the websites are like "Stranger Danger" and deal with keeping children safe. Does anyone know of any good resources? Or maybe any serious tips you would give a teenager going out into the world where they have to survive by themselves but with as little direct parental support as possible?

To keep discussion guided we are really looking for information for young woman. Only three guys in the class so that is not so much a problem.

Don't go out at night alone in a strange city or neighborhood, always take 1 or 2 other; drive if possible.

Do not go ANYWHERE with someone you do not know who is not a policeman or some other official of that sort.

If you become frightened, go to a well-lighted place with lots of people, people whose deeds are evil do indeed love darkness!

If possible, carry a cell-phone.

Keep your money out of sight.

Keep a greater distance from people than you normally would at home. Stay out of grabbing distance. Westerners generally stay at greater distances from one another than Orientals; I wonder if it's because we're more dangerous!

Sit close to the driver on public transport, also stay awake!

Walk in a quick, purposeful manner, as if you are late to wherever it is, and it's important. Predators look for the confused and vulnerable.

I can't think of any more right now.

Walk in a quick, purposeful manner, as if you are late to wherever it is, and it's important. Predators look for the confused and vulnerable.

Along with this make sure they stay aware of their surroundings, looking up and not being afraid to look people in the eyes. (less likely to attack someone who looks them in the eye).

I like the bit about walking with confidence and looking people in the eyes. There are certainly things there I never would have thought of! I wonder however what the reason behind "Sit close to the driver on public transport, also stay awake!" is?

Sitting in the front seats near the driver discourages creeps. It's hard for the driver to see what's going on in the back of the bus. A lot of these creeps won't start to bother people if it looks like it's going to be difficult. The same applies to staying awake, which is hard to do late at night. Sleeping conveys the impression of vulnerability, and you might get your pocket picked!

Ah that makes sense now you mention it. We do not really have a problem with pick pocketing here though. What I hate is the amount of times my friends are mugged on the streets. The police dont care - they only get involved if someone decides to defend themselves and hurts the attacker.

Do not linger before you enter a building or car. Women notoriously take their time before they drive away. You may want to talk to someone who does self defense classes.

If they are going to a vehicle, make sure they have their keys in their hand and not having to dig them out of their purse...it makes them less vunerable.

And with that they have a weapon of protection if someone comes at them..
they could use the key to stab at the persons face..

If they can get hold of the mans thumb or pinky, they could put him on the ground by pulling it towards the back of the hand..

If someone is coming at them from the front, don't kick, they want to knee them in the outter thigh..really hard..

And if you slap a person just the right way in the neck, you can put them on the ground to where they can't walk for a bit..it can give enough time to get away..

I'm trying to think of some other things I learned in the self-defense class..

Oh, you can also slap with the palm of your hand upward into the nose..(it could break their nose)

there were other things having to do grabing them by the nose, and sticking fingers in the eyes...but I won't describe those..

If they are attacked and a man has them pinned to the ground sitting on them..ROLL on their hips back and forth side to side, they actually have more strength in their hips..and doing this can knock a man off them..again where they could have time to get away.

Thanks for the advice but in New Zealand we are not really allowed to defend ourselves (we have the right in writing but not really in practice) so what I am after is how to avoid a situation in the first place. There have certainly been some very good ideas that have come up. I never thought about having keys ready before they get to car, going with purpose, not showing off money, etc... The other day I watched one of the students get money out from an ATM and wave it about for a minute while calling her friends. I thought that was an absolute no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back