PCA BCO clarification on civil matters and religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
II. PRELIMINARY PRINCIPLES

The Presbyterian Church in America, in setting forth the form of government founded upon and agreeable to the Word of God, reiterates the following great principles which have governed the formation of the plan:

1. God alone is Lord of the conscience and has left it free from any doctrines or commandments of men (a) which are in any respect contrary to the Word of God, or (b) which, in regard to matters of faith and worship, are not governed by the Word of God. Therefore, the rights of private judgment in all matters that respect religion are universal and inalienable. No religious constitution should be supported by the civil power further than may be necessary for protection and security equal and common to all others.

Also

3-4. The power of the Church is exclusively spiritual; that of the State includes the exercise of force. The constitution of the Church derives from divine revelation; the constitution of the State must be determined by human reason and the course of providential events. The Church has no right to construct or modify a government for the State, and the State has no right to frame a creed or polity for the Church. They are as planets moving in concentric orbits: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21).

General thoughts on these?

If one disagreed at the end of the day with either of these, is this an exception issue upon ordination?

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by crhoades]

The state is already violating their share (ie, the whole "you keep quiet and you get to keep your tax exempt status" bs). I, like Bahnsen/Gentry/Oswalt have no problem with separation of church/state as historically defined.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
The state is already violating their share (ie, the whole "you keep quiet and you get to keep your tax exempt status" bs). I, like Bahnsen/Gentry/Oswalt have no problem with separation of church/state as historically defined.

May I infer that the you would not consider the underlined portions above in sync with historical definition?

Originally posted by crhoades

3-4. The power of the Church is exclusively spiritual; that of the State includes the exercise of force. The constitution of the Church derives from divine revelation; the constitution of the State must be determined by human reason and the course of providential events. The Church has no right to construct or modify a government for the State, and the State has no right to frame a creed or polity for the Church. They are as planets moving in concentric orbits: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21).

General thoughts on these?

Well, sure. I don't agree with it. :)

I'm sure you were looking for more than that. Frankly, I think it is exceedingly short-sighted. I agree with the statements that follow (about the Church not dictating the form of government, and the State not dictating the creed/polity for the church). The picture of planets moving in concentric orbits is a wonderful picture... actually it's odd that that is included, because it says something different than the underlined sentence does!

The bit about concentric orbits says In my humble opinion that the State, as the Church, is subservient to the same Sun/Son. Why they have this in there, when they have just said that the State is not to take its cue from the Scriptures, I cannot fathom.

If one disagreed at the end of the day with either of these, is this an exception issue upon ordination?

Doubt it... I'm not sure how many ordination committees / ordinands actually study so carefully the BCO, first off, let alone the preliminary chapters. Could be wrong, have been before. ;)

Todd

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by crhoades] [/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back