Owen's works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
In addition to the 16-volume Works of John Owen set by Banner of Truth, what are the other works Owen wrote that are not included in the set?

His commentary on Hebrews (7 Vols.) and Biblical Theology (1 Vol.).

To my recollection, there is one more volume (if not more) that is not translated.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

To my recollection, there is one more volume (if not more) that is not translated.

I don't think so. The Biblical Theology volume was just recently (in the past 10 years or so) translated. I believe that is everything.

For what it's worth, Owen's Latin (his Biblical Theology) translated into English reads a great deal easier than his English written works.

DTK

Originally posted by fredtgreco

I don't think so. The Biblical Theology volume was just recently (in the past 10 years or so) translated. I believe that is everything.

Good to know! :handshake:

Thanks. Also, does anyone have "The Works of John Owen on CD-ROM"? Does it include Biblical Theology? Is it PDF that can be copied and pasted?

Originally posted by DTK
For what it's worth, Owen's Latin (his Biblical Theology) translated into English reads a great deal easier than his English written works.

That's interesting. I suppose it's perhaps because he apparently "thought" in Latin grammar a lot even when writing in English, while English translators would have naturally translated any Latin of his into English grammar.

Chris,

I don't have them on CD-ROM, but I do have them in PDF format (but I do not think it includes Biblical Theology which is a stand alone volume).

I downloaded the works (compressed into 6 vols) for free from a thread here on the PB, but I can't seem to find it now. :um:

Let me know if you want them and we can work out a way to get them to you. :book2:

Chris,

I don't have them on CD-ROM, but I do have them in PDF format (but I do not think it includes Biblical Theology which is a stand alone volume).

The reason I wonder if it includes Biblical Theology is because the set I linked above does list the 7-volume commentary on Hebrews, in addition to the 16-volume works, "and more."

I downloaded the works (compressed into 6 vols) for free from a thread here on the PB, but I can't seem to find it now. :um:

Let me know if you want them and we can work out a way to get them to you. :book2:

That's here. ;)

I do not have the Works of John Owen but I do look to purchasing some day.

His first work I believe was "A Display of Arminianism" I am curious is that is included in THE WORKS OF JOHN OWEN?

In Christ,

MeanieCalvinist

Originally posted by MeanieCalvinist
I do not have the Works of John Owen but I do look to purchasing some day.

His first work I believe was "A Display of Arminianism" I am curious is that is included in THE WORKS OF JOHN OWEN?

In Christ,

MeanieCalvinist

If memory serves me, it is included in volume 10, along with The Death of Death.

What a great work; that is, "The Death of Death in The Death of Christ" by Owen :up:

I also think the J. I. Packer did a great job in his forward to that book!

In Christ,

MeanieCalvinist

[Edited on 3-21-2006 by MeanieCalvinist]

Re: Packer essay and Owen on CD

Originally posted by MeanieCalvinist

I also think the J. I. Packer did a great job in his forward to that book!

[Edited on 3-21-2006 by MeanieCalvinist]

:amen: Packer's the one who got me started on the doctrines of grace back in the day (as per my bio).

Great stuff.

Also, Chris, I have Ages version of Owen (available via convenien download) and it does not include Biblical Theology. Has works and Hebrews. All for 14.95 via download. http://www.myages.com/categories_download.html (scroll down to vol. 9).

[Edited on 3-22-2006 by bened]

Tony Reinke says:

UPDATE: To celebrate the legacy of John Owen, The Banner of Truth is offering 35-percent discount off the purchase of any or all of the 16 volumes (until December 15, 2006). To receive this discount you must do two things. First, call directly (800-263-8085). And secondly, you must tell them you are “a friend of The Shepherd’s S c r a p book.”

Because friends don’t let friends not read Owen.

(The PB censor is a bit "off.") :judge:

bump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back