Old Photo of the Ellisville Presbyterian Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
The internet is amazing.

We lost all off our church's written history prior to 1954 due to an accident in the 1970's and anyone with any oral history prior to that time has passed away so finding things about our church prior to WWII is nearly impossible, but that is where the internet comes in handy. :)

Below is a picture of our church taken prior to WWI. The only reason I know this is because the church had stained glass installed and an addition put on the back in 1919, and the only way I know that is because of county records. This is the second earliest photo I have found of our building. I am also posting a photo from 1945 for comparison's sake.

Notice the major difference.

11150556_10153254509264144_5852449726466686552_n.jpg
Old%20Ellisville%202_zpsauv4h0i1.jpg

Ben:

Have you checked with the archives at Columbia Theological Seminary to see if they have anything on the church? Congregational history materials that were previously at the PCUS archives in Montreat, NC were relocated there when the PCUSA closed the Montreat archives.

The relevant page on their web site: Columbia Theological Seminary:: Library Congregational Records

which then takes you here: Columbia Theological Seminary:: Library Archives Online Catalog

and a search there indicates they have these items:

#1. Church history 59. Presbyterian Local Church History collection. - Mississippi. ELLISVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (ELLISVILLE, MISS.) HISTORY, 1931-1971
Collection consists of two folders, covering the years 1931-1947, 1950-1971. It also includes a summary of the years 1891-1931 (part of the 1931 history).

#2. 2007.0262. ELLISVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (ELLISVILLE, MISS.) RECORDS, 1898-1910.
Includes session minutes (May 8, 1898-Apr. 13, 1910).

You'll have to write ahead for an appointment time, and then go in person to access the records.

Should, I think, be able either to photocopy or at least take photos with a camera or phone.

While there, if you have time, you might also look at Presbytery records for mention of the church and involvement of the pastors in Presbytery, possible judicial cases, etc.

I have a succession of pastors list, starting with J.M. Smith, who served the church from 1892-1893. Let me know if you don't have that roster. Other records indicate the church was founded in 1887, so you'd need to go back through PCUS GA Minutes, 1887-1891 to see if there might have been earlier pastors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back