need expert advice: Is this a good deal on a couch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
I really like this couch -- it matches with some things my grandmothers gave me, and with the wood in the house. However, I don't know if this is a good buy, not having done this very much before. I did purchase a rust orange colored sofa and seat for 50 dollars through Craigslist, but one of the cushions had some defects (it's still a very comfortable and clean sofa that I wouldn't feel nervous for children to play on etc) for the room upstairs. I know that was a good deal. I don't know about this.

Yes, No? I'm trying to give Ruben all the information when I talk to him (he had to go down to Owensboro this evening for a couple of days).

Vintage Living Room Couch and Chair

The lady will let me make a deposit on it, and then pay the rest when i can pick it up.

If the couch is in good condition, grab it. Good couches are expensive. The value is in the frame and the cushions; if they are in good shape, then you have a good deal.

I certainly like the look of them. If it's in good condition, as it appears to be, then I guess it depends on how much it cost.

I think I'd want to know if there has ever been any mold problem with either item, considering their age and the fact that you have children... Just my :2cents:' worth. To determine that, I guess you'd have to inspect them, or take their current owner's word for it.

Margaret

Thanks, Margaret: that's a very helpful tip. I am going to try to inspect it tomorrow.

Actually I don't have children, but we have friends with children :). I do think, from the feedback so far, that if the couch is as clean and solid as it appears in the pictures, it's a good deal. What I am having qualms about is that I have decided not to have anything that I would feel nervous about having children play around or resentful if someone ruined. I am not sure if this fits into that category --not because it's so terribly expensive, but because of being a light color, it seems like it would be very easy to ruin.

you'd be surprised how well good upholstery (which that looks to be) will hold up.

The pattern will also keep it from looking terrible if it gets a stain or two - looks sturdy :)

If Ruben is in Owensboro tell him to give Eddie Goodwin, Rich Barcellos or one those guys a call. Maybe they can all sit down together for lunch with Sam Waldron. I will call him and give him their numbers.

Thank you, Randy. I'm not sure how much he can answer his phone (and they probably have him doing 14+ hour days since he's away from home); but he had mentioned wanting to meet Mr. Barcellos and others. Maybe if he can't meet anyone this time, he'll have more opportunity when he controls his own schedule (he's still in training).

Thanks, Margaret: that's a very helpful tip. I am going to try to inspect it tomorrow.

Actually I don't have children, but we have friends with children :). I do think, from the feedback so far, that if the couch is as clean and solid as it appears in the pictures, it's a good deal. What I am having qualms about is that I have decided not to have anything that I would feel nervous about having children play around or resentful if someone ruined. I am not sure if this fits into that category --not because it's so terribly expensive, but because of being a light color, it seems like it would be very easy to ruin.

I can completely understand that feeling. My mom loves light colored upholstry, and when she's caring for my children, she throws a couple of clean but old towels over the cushions. As long as the children are otherwise clean, she doesn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back