N. T. Wright, The Resurrection of the Son of God

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a thick and well-crafted evidential defense of the historicity of the resurrection of Christ. Its evidential character made this presuppositionalist a bit uneasy -- at the end, all Wright can do is offer an inductive argument. Aside from that, I noted one place (p.118) where Wright seems to argue that there is an internal contradictory hermeneutic in Scripture.

It's a thick and well-crafted evidential defense of the historicity of the resurrection of Christ. Its evidential character made this presuppositionalist a bit uneasy -- at the end, all Wright can do is offer an inductive argument. Aside from that, I noted one place (p.118) where Wright seems to argue that there is an internal contradictory hermeneutic in Scripture.

So is his book "only" a defense of the historicity of the resurrection of Christ ?

The book is a volume in the series "Christian Origins and the Question of God." So I guess you could say it is a part of a larger argument for the Christian faith. According to the blurb on the back, "...N.T. Wright focuses on the key questions any historian must face: What precisely happened at Easter? What did the early Christians mean when they said that Jesus of Nazareth had been raised from the dead? What can be said today about this belief?"

As part of the apologetics it refutes the liberal notion that resurrection means something other than a physical, nodily resurrection. Some liberals say Christ "rose in the heart" (ie. a psychological or motivational thing), arose only spiritually, or the like. Anyway, Wright makes that case that these views were not intended by the writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back