My sympathy for the Dispensational...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get over the self-denigrating "lovefest" men. Keon was wrong, as post number three pointed out, should have apologized for making a foolish statement, and thereby eliminated 2/3 of the following posts and all of the silly retractions that are attached to them.

Well, glad that's settled then. :)

I used to belong to a Dispensationalist church, which since it was otherwise Reformed, tried to build the Dispensationalism on to a Covenant base. It didn't work, and the resulting inconsistencies caused great trouble to my Christian walk. Many of the people at the church linked one's salvation with accepting all points of Dispensationalism as articles of faith. So since I could not see how many of its doctrines could be proven with the Bible, I thought there was something wrong with me, and thus the crisis of faith.

When I at last discovered a consistently Reformed discussion of eschatology, my faith was greatly revived. I still use the study Bible published under the name of the pastor of that church, but when I see Dispensationalism pushed, I cringe.

The reason Dispensationalism is off is that, historically, it was created for secular, political reasons. Trying to reinterpret the Bible and create new doctrines on behalf of political movements is always a bad idea. It is particularly dangerous when the political movement in question is publically Leftist and anti-Christian. This is why I cannot sympathize with the creators of Dispensationalism, nor would I buy a Scofield Reference Bible even if it were still 1907 now.

By the way, my mother has a vintage Scofield Bible from which my grandfather preached; it is sometimes useful to read as what is not healthy teaching.

I used to belong to a Dispensationalist church, which since it was otherwise Reformed, tried to build the Dispensationalism on to a Covenant base. It didn't work, and the resulting inconsistencies caused great trouble to my Christian walk. Many of the people at the church linked one's salvation with accepting all points of Dispensationalism as articles of faith. So since I could not see how many of its doctrines could be proven with the Bible, I thought there was something wrong with me, and thus the crisis of faith.

When I at last discovered a consistently Reformed discussion of eschatology, my faith was greatly revived. I still use the study Bible published under the name of the pastor of that church, but when I see Dispensationalism pushed, I cringe.

The reason Dispensationalism is off is that, historically, it was created for secular, political reasons. Trying to reinterpret the Bible and create new doctrines on behalf of political movements is always a bad idea. It is particularly dangerous when the political movement in question is publically Leftist and anti-Christian. This is why I cannot sympathize with the creators of Dispensationalism, nor would I buy a Scofield Reference Bible even if it were still 1907 now.

By the way, my mother has a vintage Scofield Bible from which my grandfather preached; it is sometimes useful to read as what is not healthy teaching.
Brother. I am WITH you. Read my OP. The sympathy of which I wrote dealt with , the farmer, the mill worker, the common man at the grass roots level, who were looking for a way to defend the truths of scripture, in a historic sense I am trying to put myself in their shoes in, say, 1917, these people were "graspng" for a system of theoly that "in their minds" defended the "basics". Please Brother, do not put words in my mouth, I NEVER defended the creators or promoters of this system! Not in a single Post! I have made it clear that I feel the stuff of Scofield and Larkin was HORRID exegesis. I only say that this stuff was popular at a grass roots level because the Reformed were not doing so at this juncture. I think it is OK to examine past mistakes! Given the new interest in solid Reformed Theology I think it important to remember: We MUST defend orthodoxy at the College and University, but we must NOT again make the mistake we (the Reformed) did in the that era of American history, that being, reaching out at the "popular" grassroots level. :2cents: Grace and Peace in His Name.

etexas - I see. No big deal. My grandfather preached from Scofield and I love the man; the pastor I was referring to, I also respect highly. I definitely sympathize with the ordinary, Bible-loving man using Scofield, brother! (By the way, my Dad lives in Amarillo, I love the Palo Duro Canyon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back