More questions on baptism from the paedo perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Puritan Board Junior
What is the importance of baptism in the paedobaptist position? Also from my previous thread on whether I should be re baptized (baptized first in the RCC) or not, if I can settle and get into the Presbyterian church (have gone once, would like to attend again) and they view it that I should be re baptized than I will, if they don't believe so than I won't.

Last edited:
Sean,

Through the years I have seen many things. I honestly believe our Covenantal Union with the Church is of vital importance. Salvation is of the Lord but it is found in our placement in the Church. Baptism is a big part of that. We are baptized into one body. As Abraham was justified apart from his circumcision so are we in our baptism. Abraham's circumcision was a sign and seal of his righteousness. It didn't say he was righteous of his own accord but it does say he was righteous. His righteousness was in Christ. The sign and seal testified of it and placed him in the physical body and Kingdom here on earth. I believe that it does the same here and there is much grace given to us through this means of baptism. It shows us to whom we belong. It reveals to whom we are responsible. It also shows those who are responsible for shepherding the flock of God for whom they are responsible for. It is a sign and seal of those things. Even if one is not regenerate at the time of their baptism the Church is responsible for nurturing our way into and in Christ and that is a big responsibility before regeneration and after.

Last edited:
What is the importance of baptism in the paedobaptist position?

From WCF 28.1:
Baptism is a sacrament of the new testament, ordained by Jesus Christ, not only for the solemn admission of the party baptized into the visible church; but also, to be unto him a sign and seal of the covenant of grace, of his ingrafting into Christ, of regeneration, of remission of sins, and of his giving up unto God, through Jesus Christ, to walk in newness of life. Which sacrament is, by Christ's own appointment, to be continued in his church until the end of the world.

From WCF 28.6:
The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet, notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinance, the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited, and conferred, by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God's own will, in his appointed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back