Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
_marry_christmas__by_luckylinx.gif

We are honest with each other here on the PB regarding Christmas, nativity scenes, etc., but I have two questions about the way you respond to Christians and/or non-Christians when the following is directed your way.

1. "Merry Christmas!"

I respond with a hearty Merry Christmas! Usually I'm the one that says it to people first

2. That's a pretty nativity scene, isn't it?" (scene includes a baby Jesus and three wise men)

I say thank you, it sure is.

I will be glad when Christmas is over and we can go back to hating each other just over baptism, the Sabbath, RPW, etc. etc. etc. infinity. :lol:

Merry Christmas everyone.

I pray that you & your family have a joyful celebration.
Thanks. Same to you and yours.

11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
As I'd mentioned a few weeks back, I'm still amazed at God emptying Himself and becoming a baby. Christianity 101, but it boggles my simple mind. Thanks for sharing the scriptures.

This whole Christmas thing is getting way out of hand. I think we all need to take a deep breath, have a cold one, or a warm one, and celebrate the holiday how ever we see fit. Go and enjoy time with your families. :)

I would have to say this has not been a shining moment for the PB. I am just as guilty as everyone else. This is not neccessarily a good witness to the world or to non-reformed people.

Bah! Humbug! :p

Just FYI:
Humbug is an archaic term meaning "hoax", or "jest". While the term was first attested in 1751 in student slang, its etymology is unknown. It is known, however, that it was used as profanity centuries ago, in places such as Great Britain. Its present meaning as an exclamation is closer to "nonsense", or "gibberish", while as a noun, a humbug refers to a fraud or impostor, implying an element of unjustified publicity and spectacle.

Well, Christmas is almost here. I've gleaned from some threads that there are different levels of interest in the holiday with folks on the PB, so I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas...or a happy non-celebrated pagan's day...or a nice Thursday...whichever fits best, to you and yours.

Luk 2:10-14 And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"

A Very Merry Christmas to you too.

And may God bless in the new year.

I'll gladly accept the Merry Christmas and return the kindness. In fact, I'll be preaching a gospel message this evening centering on the purpose of the incarnation and the fulfillment of that purpose through the cross and the resurrection. The babe did not come to be a bit character in a nativity scene, but to conquer sin and provide hope to sinners.

Maranatha!

The title of my sermon tonight is "The Word Became Flesh" John 1:14-18.

God bless all of you, regardless of what you're doing tomorrow. Personally, I'm having Christmas! It's helpful that I celebrate Christmas actually, because I work at a Safeway and have been wished "Merry Christmas" probably 70-100 times within the last week. If I didn't celebrate Christmas, that would have really gotten old.

And just as a side note to those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, I truly respect your position on the holiday. Your stance says a lot about your character and desire to honor the Lord. May the Lord bless you for your decision.

In case it hasn't been mentioned..

I'm not as "IN" to making it a "christian celebration" these days, having read some of the thoughts here, but, I do, remind my kids, what people are supposed to be celebrating, I remind them, we should celebrate His birth, life, and HIS REIGN AS KING, EVERYDAY. And then I enjoy the gifts and the season.

Having said that, I did go to a Christmas Eve service, at a local Presbyterian Church, and the secular masses were there, AND, the gospel was preached, so, pray with me, that whether or not you agree with the holiday or not, THE GOSPEL being preached, reaches HIS audience. Because of this holiday, the gospel is being preached from a pulpit, and the WORD of God is being proclaimed, to many, who would not be hearing it otherwise, let those with ears to hear, HEAR THE WONDERFUL NEWS OF OUR SAVIOR.

Even Fox News had something where huge passages of scripture were being read.

So, I was praying for the gospel message to reach GOD'S CHILDREN THIS NIGHT!

And I'm very thankful, for HIS GIFT TO ME! THANK YOU LORD!!!

Blessings to all my brothers and sisters!

Merry Christmas guys. May your love abound toward Christ and your fellow man daily. Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward mankind.

Be Encouraged brothers and sisters,
Randy

To those who had a Merry Thursday today.... to be consistent, did you work and spend your time in a manner similar to last thursday?

Just curious how highly the non-Christmas flags are unfurled.

--- Vinny Kochetta

I would normally just say happy christmas to you to, to the first one and the second depends on how much time I have got and then I would either ignor it or begin a discussion with one of the comments above.

I would have to say this has not been a shining moment for the PB. I am just as guilty as everyone else. This is not neccessarily a good witness to the world or to non-reformed people.
Just wondering what your take was on the Christmas thread discussions this year, how/why they weren't a shining moment for the PB. I think somebody else also expressed a similar sentiment. We want to be a good witness, I'm not clear how we weren't.

The constant arguing and what it was about. I think for me the big deal was all I see on the news is how atheists and other god haters are going out of their way to take Christ out of Christmas and make it a holiday about non specific spiritualism. There is even an organization started by atheists, "Freedom from Religion, http://www.ffrf.org/, that is trying to take God out of everything. The majority of the church world is going out of there way to make Christmas a Christian holiday and here on the board we are fighting to take Christ out of it because of a violation of the second command or because of what life was like for the puritans. It makes it look like we on the PB are on the side of the atheists.

I guess there is always constant arguing on the board I just usually don't get involved, maybe that is it.

The constant arguing and what it was about. I think for me the big deal was all I see on the news is how atheists and other god haters are going out of their way to take Christ out of Christmas and make it a holiday about non specific spiritualism. There is even an organization started by atheists, "Freedom from Religion, Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc., that is trying to take God out of everything. The majority of the church world is going out of there way to make Christmas a Christian holiday and here on the board we are fighting to take Christ out of it because of a violation of the second command or because of what life was like for the puritans. It makes it look like we on the PB are on the side of the atheists.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Sometimes (for me) its challenging figuring out which battles to choose (or which side of the battle to fight on, if at all). I use to feel the need to "keep Christ in Christmas", reminding others of the "true meaning of Christmas", feeling discouraged/bummed out that for the most part Christ was being excluded from Christmas. It was his birthday, after all. The more I learned, though, about the origins of the holiday itself, and the origins of various Christmas practices, the less I wanted to continue the fight to keep Christ in Christmas. I may be wrong, but I don't think it is or ever was really a Christian holiday, about Christ.

This is not necessarily a good witness to the world or to non-reformed people.
In some ways (in my skewed way of thinking), discussions I read this year about Christmas would/could be a GOOD witness to the world and non-reformed people, worthwhile for them to read. I didn't sense attitudes during the discussions that were dishonoring to Christ. I for one like the holiday and wasn't offended by anything that was written. There were valid reasons given why some don't celebrate Christmas, not wanting to be associated with practices of pagan origin, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Or pointing out the idolatry aspect. Nothing wrong with that, either (In my humble opinion). If true, the point is well worth consideration by all.

(jk) I was tempted to start a poll this Christmas season, of those opposed to Christmas, asking the question "Truthfully, did you receive a lump of coal in your stocking last year?" I think the results would have been an eye opener. :lol:

This whole Christmas thing is getting way out of hand. I think we all need to take a deep breath, have a cold one, or a warm one, and celebrate the holiday how ever we see fit. Go and enjoy time with your families. :)

I tend to look at this discussion regarding Christmas as a good example of how the PB is supposed to operate. We are "always reforming," and I had two sincere questions I have been conflicted over for about a year and a half. I have done much reading and discussing with other elders, not getting anywhere within my conscience. I knew when I asked the two questions that there would be a wide range of answers, along with answers that would help me along in the journey within myself.

I knew that brothers and sisters on the PB would give me their biblically-based opinions without any fluff because of who I am, or am not, or how their answers might affect our future relationships. That's exactly what I received - and I am deeply grateful.

Am I any further along the path of satisfying my conscience? Yes. Have I settled on the path of least (or greatest) resistance? No. I am not afraid to choose the path less taken, but do not want to take that path unless it is the God-honoring path.

I will continue to pray that God will shine more light upon me in this area and grant me discernment on how to counsel others around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back