Matthew Poole: It is not good for man to be alone

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The Lord God said, or, had said, to wit, upon the sixth day, on which the woman was made, Genesis i. 27-28. Not good; not convenient either for my purpose of the increase of mankind, or for man’s personal comfort, or for the propagation of his kind. Meet for him; a most emphatical phrase, signifying thus much, one correspondent to him, suitable both to his nature and necessity, one altogether like to him in shape and constitution, disposition and affection; a second self; or one to be at hand and near to him, to stand continually before him, familiarly to converse with him, to be always ready to succour, serve, and comfort him; or one whose eye, respect, and care, as well as desire, Genesis iii. 16, should be to him, whose business it shall be to please and help him.

For the reference, see:

The Lord God said, or, had said, to wit, upon the sixth day, on which the woman was made, Genesis i. 27-28. Not good; not convenient either for my purpose of the increase of mankind, or for man’s personal comfort, or for the propagation of his kind. Meet for him; a most emphatical phrase, signifying thus much, one correspondent to him, suitable both to his nature and necessity, one altogether like to him in shape and constitution, disposition and affection; a second self; or one to be at hand and near to him, to stand continually before him, familiarly to converse with him, to be always ready to succour, serve, and comfort him; or one whose eye, respect, and care, as well as desire, Genesis iii. 16, should be to him, whose business it shall be to please and help him.

For the reference, see:

So true. Even non-Christians get it. My uncle just passed, and when talking to my aunt, she said the hardest thing is going to be living without her best friend.

This is even true for perpetual singles. If we look historically, Elijah had Elisha, John the Baptist had disciples, Jesus had disciples, and Paul surrounded himself with ministry partners, or apprentices. Even in former times monks congregated together so that their separation wouldnt be complete isolation. No man or woman, whether single or married, is ever to be an island among themselves. I know this isnt necessarily the context of the above OP, but if we consider that our eternal abode will be that were marriage is void, it may have broader application that regardless of ones marital condition, Christian are meant to live in community.

Last edited:
Back