Luther's "durch diese geisterey"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone knowing German able to shed more light on the word "geisterey"? Rutherford gives a translation from the "high Dutch" (or German) of Luther's letter against the Antinomians in Survey of Spiritual Antichrist. Rutherford's line is "Hence you may see that the devil intends by this Ghostly Gambold to take away, not so much the law, as Christ, the fulfiller of the law." Rutherford's translator translates the German “durch diese geisterey” as "ghostly Gambold", which the only English word I find is gambol (frolicking, dancing about). Luther's Works, v47, p. 110, translates it "fanaticism." The note on "geisterey" in the Werner edtion reads "Wohl=Schwarmgeisterei, Ketzerei" (which Google renders "Well = hive mind, heresy." I assume Wohl is an editorial notation as it is used throught the notes? Some German English dictionaries seem to associate "geisterey" with free thinking, Libertines, enthusiasts, etc. The whole line reads: Aus dem sihet man, das der Teuffel durch diese geistery, nicht das gesetz meinet weg zu nemen, sondem Christum, den erfuller des gesetzes. Works: "It is apparent from this that the devil's purpose in this fanaticism is not to remove the Law but to remove Christ, the fulfiller of the Law" (given here). Rutherford:

I know relatively little German, but the root geist is obviously just spirit or ghost. I think durch diese should simply be read as by this or through this.

The Pelikan-Oswald edition of Luther's Works has this note in one place: "Geisterey; an English term like “self-blown man" might reproduce some of its connotation." The Oxford Research Encyclopedia notes that in one work Luther uses Enthusiasten and Schwarmgeistere synonomously. Along with the definitions you already noted, these all seem to be kindred enough terms.

It looks like gambold is probably just an archaic form of gambol
Shakespeare Dictionary: Gambold (n.) Frolic, entertainment, pastime – ‘Marry, I will; let them play it. Is not a comonty a Christmas gambold or a tumbling-trick?’ prologue of The Taming of the Shrew. (I thought you would also really appreciate the specific context here too...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back