Looking for Calvin/Luther hat???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
Does anyone know where to find a Reformation era hat of the type that Calvin and Luther wore? The closest I have been able to come is a flat tudor (i.e., without the ear flaps). Does anyone out there know of a source for a more authentic Calvin or Luther hat???

Good question, Dennis. I contacted the Calvin College campus store out of curiosity and they said they don't have them. I know people dress up as Calvin for his birthday but those hats may come from a costume store. They do exist clearly, but I don't have any more helpful leads at the moment, regrettably.

I have a floppy beret similar to what would have been at that time. I got mine from a Renaissance Faire. Many Renaissance Faire's now have websites and you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Here's something like it:

Tudor-Elizabethan%20Scholars%20cap.jpg

It can be found here.

Wow! I really....I mean...what can I say...I don't want one.
C'mon, now, Ivan. I worked hard to find that. I think all Reformed Pastor's oughta be required to wear one! Then we can spot youse guys in a crowd. :lol:

I think the scholar's cap is considered the right one. Consider this as evidence.

I think you can order it in red.

:ditto:

I have a velvet floppy beret that looks like the picture. Here is a website that sells every kind of beret. Berets (also BERETS.COM) You might find something there that fits the bill. :pilgrim:

Close but no cigar! Thanks for looking, though. I saw a hat at the Tudor store that covers everything but the ear flaps. Hmmmm.

Maybe you could have them make you a custom Calvin/Luther hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back