"Lifestyle evangelism" isn't evangelism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain yourself. If Denver is not culturally Christian, what is it? Culturally secular, Muslim, or something else? I don't understand why anyone would take offense.

Mary, Denver has become exceedingly secularized, and multicultural. There are very few faithful churches in the heart of our city. What remains there, are mostly a few holdovers of the mainline denominations. These churches glorify sin and many embrace other religions, especially Buddhism.

There are large Muslim, Hare Krishna, Hindu and Buddhist communities, along with representatives of almost every other cult imaginable.

This January, our state legalized recreational marijuana. Street crime is on the rise and we have an epidemic of hit-and-run accidents, many of which kill pedestrians. It demonstrates a callousness about human life.

When you walk down the street, almost anything goes. Homosexuality is not tolerated - it is glorified. Our city is anything but "Christian," even nominally.

In fact, on my secular college campus, Christians are looked on by most with derision. To acknowledge faith is somewhat accepted, but to address sin - any sin, even with love - is to draw accusations of intolerance. (Yes, they are intolerant as they accuse us of intolerance.) To speak of a holy God who can not tolerate sin is anathema in the eyes of the majority. We are accused of "hate speech," which is now a crime. In the heart of our city, true Christianity is a minority.

I have done street evangelism for several years here. I have encountered many who have never heard the gospel.

The suburban areas are a bit different. There are more churches and Christians, though many are of a broad evangelical bent, rather than reformed.

We desperately need faithful churches in the heart of our city. Church planters - if you read this - please consider the heart of Denver and the Hispanic barrio in southwest Denver.
Yeah and Boulder is worse and in the same metro area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back