Legalism and Antinomianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage Bluestem

Puritan Board Junior
Since both are equally heretical, how does a church maintain the orthodox middle ground? This seems to be a very problematic area and it seems to be difficult for churches to realize when they are moving too far in either direction.

Thanks,

David

Since both are equally heretical, how does a church maintain the orthodox middle ground? This seems to be a very problematic area and it seems to be difficult for churches to realize when they are moving too far in either direction.

Thanks,

David

I think if we just expositionally preach the Bible in its Redemptive-Historical context, you will get the proper balance between law & grace. When the Bible talks about grace and the indicatives of the gospel, preach that faithfully. When the Bible talks about law and the imperatives of our duty before God, preach that faithfully! I don't think we need do anything but preach the word in season and out of season.

:2cents:

It's a problem for the individual as much as anything else, to walk the tightrope of liberty between legalism and licence.

The only Man who was perfectly balanced was the Lord.

I'm not sure it's best to think in terms of "middle ground" or "proper balance." Paul's answer to the idea that his railing against legalism might lead to antinomianism was that such either/or thinking belongs to the old life: "Are we to continue to sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?" (Rom. 6:1).

We are reborn! We have a Spiritual way of thinking, driven by the gospel.

The gospel is an enemy of legalism. It declares we come to God only by his grace. Any must-prove-myself attitude is opposed to the gospel. We obey God out of our freedom and joy.

But the gospel is equally an enemy of antinomianism. It takes sin and God’s rules very seriously—so seriously Jesus had to die. And it declares we are transformed into people "who are zealous for good works" (Titus 2:14).

Free and zealous is so much better than legalistic, and it simply can't lead to antinomianism where the gospel is understood and reaches the heart of the Spiritual man. If it's the gospel that's leading us away from legalism, it will equally lead us away from antinomianism.

Last edited:

Thanks,

David

I don't know that anyone or any church or even any denomination can preach the Gospel absolutely perfectly without tending to err on the side of antinomianism and/or legalism. The goal should be able to strive for the Gospel alone in our personal lives and as a community. In practice that is very hard to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back