Legal Adivce Concerning Publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
I understand a number of you have published books before and others of you are legal experts.

I have a story which needs to be told. It slander or anything like that (sorry my legal terminology is somewhat lacking). There is a problem that certain countries or a certain country my take issue with this book. They do not have freedom and the ways in which they could in theory hurt me or loved ones are many. They may, they may not.

My question is: is it still possible to write under a pen name? How secure is a pen name? What are the legal implications? What advice have you got? If this would put anyone I love in danger I will not publish it or maybe I will keep interviews, right the book and store it away until a future date.

Thanks.

Fraser, I think you ask a difficult question because laws vary so much among countries. If you were to ask about U.S. law, it would be easier to answer.

You can always write under a pen name. The problem is that if you want to get published, the publisher needs to know how to contact you. You could make arrangements through an agent, but you would have to have trust in that agent.

Many countries have laws that require publishers or agents to disclose who they represent if something controversial is published. China, for instance, was able to get Google to reveal the names of anonymous bloggers. This probably would not have happened in the US unless the bloggers were making actual threats.

I think your best option is to find legal advice in the particular countries you are worried about. Be careful.

Vic

I agree with Vic here. It's hard to judge the case without getting into further details, and it needs to be discussed with someone familiar with the legal situation in the countries you are concerned with.

Regardless of where a work is published, whether online or print, I would never assume that a pen name is absolutely secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back