Leather Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Williams

Puritan Board Freshman
I currently use my Calfskin ESV as my primary bible. This edition was published in 2003 and I am wanting to buy an ESV with the 2007 textual updates but I want to get a quality made bible since I plan on using it as my primary bible for a long time.

With that in mind my current calfskin is in black but I am looking at a cordovan calfskin ESV. Do any of you own a cordovan calfskin? I read somewhere that some cordovan bibles can look like a purple color.

Would any of your recommend the cordovan?

:confused:

I like the old cordovan/caramel color...but all the recent ones I have seen (and the one I own) are burgundy in color and know they are now listed I believe as "antique burgundy". They also attempted to make the cover a smooth texture but some that I have seen get creases or ripples over time. I prefer the black calfskin with the strong grain lines, which seem to age a little more gracefully.

have you come across Allan's Tan ESV...superb!!!

Bible Design and Binding: Allan's Reference ESV in Tan Goatskin

From what I've read about Allan's, it's the only way to go if you want the ESV.

I have looked at Allan's Bibles and would love to get the black calfskin ESV however Monergism.com has the cordovan ESV in stock and on sale for $99 while Allan's, when converted, is about $169 USD.

Should I just save up for the Allan's then? I really want something that will age well because I am a ocd when it comes to books. I don't like creases, crinkles, nicks, etc.

Save for the Allan's. I'm currently putting aside $20/paycheck for a new ESV for my husband and should have the price by early September. We are less than pleased with his Reformation Bible - the notes are great but the paper quality is pretty bad - we've had to repair numerous pages and this Bible is less than two years old!

Allan's is currently working on a new ESV printing which is scheduled to be available in July. As far as I know, they are using a printer other than Crossway and say that the paper will be far superior to what CW uses - don't know if it is India paper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back