Kevin DeYoung appointed to faculty RTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see. He's senior pastor of a fairly large church where he's the lead preacher; he writes at least one good book a year, keeps up an excellent blog, tweets several dozen times a day, has a family with six kids at home, and is an avid televised-sports fan... and now this too. I realize the man probably has some staff help, but that's impressive. He must be one of those rare guys who can do a lot of quality work in a little time.

Not only does Kevin do everything Jack mentioned above, in his free time he created a time machine which will allow him be in two places at once :detective:

In all seriousness, we were told on Sunday that he will teach 2-3 one week intensive courses throughout the year. Kevin normally preaches approximately 45 Sunday mornings out of the year and about 30 evenings.

Not only does Kevin do everything Jack mentioned above, in his free time he created a time machine which will allow him be in two places at once :detective:

In all seriousness, we were told on Sunday that he will teach 2-3 one week intensive courses throughout the year. Kevin normally preaches approximately 45 Sunday mornings out of the year and about 30 evenings.

Apparently, he will be speaking at the church I currently attend when he is over here. The minister has asked me to do a review of Taking God at his Word ... hopefully before the author arrives!! Seriously, though, I really enjoyed his book on the Heidelberg Catechism, which has inspired me to read a lot more about the Three Forms of Unity.

Not only does Kevin do everything Jack mentioned above, in his free time he created a time machine which will allow him be in two places at once

That makes sense and seems doable. I think 45 a year is what most pastors whose churches I have been apart of preached.

I wish him the best, but I serve a small church and have four kids and feel like I do not get to spend as much time as I would like with them.

He has six kids, writes a couple of books a year, has a huge church, working on Ph.D and now creating systematic lectures on top of it? I mean, I realize he has a staff at URC, but more power to him if he can handle all that.

I am not sure I could.

I am not sure I could.

I'll repeat an observation I made several years ago. A pastor at a single pastor church generally has a lot harder job than a pastor at a much larger church.

Depends. I have served a VERY small congregation as solo pastor (my salary was $15k out of a $26k budget), a large congregation where I had several full time associates and quite a few part timers assisting me, an institutional role (where there were 200 employees under my direction), and an interim ministry in a smaller middle sized church (215 average attendance). The most direct duties and anxieties were in the smallest congregation (all the responsibilities and little authority). It also represented the most joyful ministry. The most mental burden was being responsible for 400 seniors in a retirement home (few actual responsibilities and lots of authority). The most "difficult" job was the larger middle sized church with several full time associates (least joyful).

Each type of church is simultaneously both "easier" and "harder" than the others . . . just in different respects. People who do well being busy without much authority will flourish in the smaller single pastor congregation. Men who do best with lots of authority will "enjoy" the larger organizations.

Highly energetic and productive "achievement" oriented people do their best work when they are pushed beyond the limits most people consider reasonable. Ironically, it also corresponds to their being the most satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back