Keeping the Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamM

Puritan Board Freshman
From time to time on the board I find the phrase keeping the covenant is used and I was wondering if we could unpack it? If you are someone who uses that phrase in reference to covenant children, what exactly do you mean by our children keeping the covenant?

I see several different meanings that could be poured into that phrase, some I think would be helpful and others troubling. I am curious what everybody else thinks about it?

[Edited on 7-19-2005 by AdamM]

Keeping the covenant in the covenant of grace is standing in and resting in the finished final work of Jesus Christ and nothing else. Faith is required of the CoG, given and faith looks to Christ alone. All works were finished by Christ, the second Adam, in Whom our faith is placed. Christ accomplished what Adam did not, Christ kept that covenant for us. Thus, all glory goes to Him, even the good works we can only do by faith are accepted on the first account of Christ's doing.

Keeping the covenant means keeping what is required of us, faith and obedience. But even these obligations are gifts from God to us and worked in us.

Are you guys speaking about what this term means generally, or what it means specifically in relation to the children of believers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back