Is every Christian a missionary and every place a missions field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evangelize is a good work to use and not only an evangelist is called to do it.
Prove it biblically, then, which is what I originally asked.

Three places the word is mentioned. Nowhere does it say the laity are not to be evangelists.

2 Timothy 4:5 ESV
As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Ephesians 4:11-12 ESV
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

Acts 21:8 ESV
On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him

However this passage includes everyone:

1 Peter 2:9 ESV
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
1 Peter 2:9 doesn't say anything about evangelism.

What do you believe proclaiming his excellencies is? I believe that is evangelism in this world. We are a Holy Priesthood who praises God. Praising God in this age inevitably involves evangelism because the gospel proclamaition is the greates praise possible. What do you think is meant is Ephesians 4 where the saints are being trained for ministry to build up the body of Christ?

Three places the word is mentioned. Nowhere does it say the laity are not to be evangelists.

As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Come one David.... You can't really believe you are exegeting. You are e eisegeting. You are making it say what you want and not what it says. Every passage you are using you are doing this with.

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

If someone you knew held to the view with which you disagree, what is your best response to them?

I think you should have asked, "Is every Christian supposed to tell other people about how God saves His people from their sins?".

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

If someone you knew held to the view with which you disagree, what is your best response to them?

I think you should have asked, "Is every Christian supposed to tell other people about how God saves His people from their sins?".

But Perg's a missionary, so his question concerns his own office and how the rest of the Body relates to it.

What do you believe proclaiming his excellencies is? I believe that is evangelism in this world. We are a Holy Priesthood who praises God. Praising God in this age inevitably involves evangelism because the gospel proclamaition is the greates praise possible. What do you think is meant is Ephesians 4 where the saints are being trained for ministry to build up the body of Christ?
I believe proclaiming His excellencies has to do with what the text says. Proclaiming His Excellencies! It doesn't matter if you believe it is evangelism or proclaiming the gospel. You are not proving that proclaiming his excellencies is evangelism. You are assuming that. Ephesians 4 is about those who are training the saints for maturity. It is proclaiming that God has ordained some with specific offices and gifts for the task. By your account if we take in your eisegesis we would assume everyone is going to be an apostle also in context.

Come one David.... You can't really believe you are exegeting. You are e eisegeting. You are making it say what you want and not what it says. Every passage you are using you are doing this with.

I'm just reading it. I'm not eisegeting. And why are you now arguing on the other side?

That is what it says and that is what everyone in the evangelical christian community believes it means.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

What do you believe proclaiming his excellencies is?
Proclaiming God's excellencies.

What do you think is meant is Ephesians 4 where the saints are being trained for ministry to build up the body of Christ?
I think that's an instance of poor interpretation. I believe the KJV translates the thought better:
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

So, God has given these men for:

1. The knitting together of the saints
2. The work of the ministry

and

3. The edifying of the body of Christ.

I believe the ESV is a better translation than the KJV, especially in this area.

Proclaiming the excellencies of God never excludes the gospel. Especially not that that is the greatest thing he has ever done.

The evangelical Christian community is a broken cistern that cannot hold water. :2cents:

Josh has already agreed that believers are to be salt and light and be prepared to give an answer, so what is it that you still object to?

By your account if we take in your eisegesis we would assume everyone is going to be an apostle also in context.

Not at all. There are no more apostles because the last one died 1900 years ago. We are all children of God and are all by nature going to share the gospel. It is shameful not to do so.

Matthew 5:15 ESV
15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.

David.... Include the whole thing. Address the whole post and respond to the whole thing. You are still proving my point on obfuscation. The text is about Church office and its function. Are all called to the offices?

Is every place a misssion field?

Why, or why not?
(Mat 28:18) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

(Mat 28:19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

(Mat 28:20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I guess it depends on how you define all. LOL.

If a misssionary is a "sent-out one" then they must be sent out from somewhere, and that "somewhere" is from a place that already has the Gospel and efforts are made to send-out these ones to places that severely lack the Gospel.

Thus, there is a prioritization of sending, based upon need and call.

1 Peter 2:9 doesn't say anything about evangelism.

Some people do not believe that proclaiming His excellencies should be called "evangelism." They are not denying that we should proclaim His excellencies. They are not against laypeople proclaiming His excellencies. They are just saying that it should not be called "evangelism."

If a misssionary is a "sent-out one" then they must be sent out from somewhere, and that "somewhere" is from a place that already has the Gospel and efforts are made to send-out these ones to places that severely lack the Gospel.

I believe the "somewhere" is the church, but I agree with you that priority should be made based on need.

Yes sir, I think that describes it well. :up:

If you mean that all Christians are called to the office of evengelist proper, no.

If you mean that all Christians are to bear witness to the truth of Christ and should be always ready to give an answer (I Peter 3:15), then yes.

Lots of good insights here.

It really does depend on how we are using and how we understand the terms.

I'm reminded of the story of Martin Luther who encountered a shoemaker who just become a Christian, who had just absorbed the "solas" truths of the Reformation. The shoemaker had in mind he must become a priest, monk, or something ecclesiastical separated.

"What must I do"? the shoemaker asked Mr. Luther.

"Be a better shoemaker," Mr. Luther replied.

The whole of God's Word is for the whole of life. A very select few men are called to handle the ordinances of corporate worship. A very few men are called to serve in church offices such as Deacon.

But we are all called to both follow and lead in our own ways, according to the Word.

If not every person is a missionary and not every place a misssion field, then how do we make sure we are fulfilling these roles in our churches?

How do we know who to send and where to send them?

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

p.s. I just checked John Stott and he says that as the Father sent the Son, the Son sends His People (all of us) into the world. And just as Jesus was made in the form of a servant, all of our tasks is to be the same to the world. Thus, perhaps he and several of my friends take a broader view of the terms missions and misssionaries. Not only teaching is invovled but serving as well.

This brings me to another question: what part do humanitarian works and service play in mission? If we are to model Christ, then Jesus went everywhere teaching and healing at the same time (not separating good works from good words).

p.s. I just checked John Stott and he says that as the Father sent the Son, the Son sends His People (all of us) into the world. And just as Jesus was made in the form of a servant, all of our tasks is to be the same to the world. Thus, perhaps he and several of my friends take a broader view of the terms missions and misssionaries. Not only teaching is invovled but serving as well.

This brings me to another question: what part do humanitarian works and service play in mission? If we are to model Christ, then Jesus went everywhere teaching and healing at the same time (not separating good works from good words).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back