Is Easter really supposed to be this Sunday (04/20/08)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaGratia

Puritan Board Junior
My Jewish friend at work just reminding me that she is going to be celebrateing Passover this weekend. Does this mean I celebrated Easter too early instead of this coming Sunday (04/20/08)?

Puritans don't celebrate Easter (Ishtar, Astarte, etc). :pilgrim:

:lol: I was going to say...if only the bible had given us instructions for celebrating this holy day we wouldn't have to deal with such unfortunate confusion!

I'm not wanting to start trouble here, but do the Continental Reformed observe Easter and other days?

This thread only serves to underscore the fact that many us have much more work to do in order to be semper reformanda.

This thread only serves to underscore the fact that many us have much more work to do in order to be semper reformanda.

In what way?

Brother, I was speaking more about myself and my church. We have come such a long way from our Arminian roots (2000) to where we are today (Calvinistic, covenantal, confessional). But we still have a long way to go. The celebration of Easter is one such area. I have no problem celebrating the resurrection of the risen Lord, but that should be part of the gospel that is preached.

In what way?

Brother, I was speaking more about myself and my church. We have come such a long way from our Arminian roots (2000) to where we are today (Calvinistic, covenantal, confessional). But we still have a long way to go. The celebration of Easter is one such area. I have no problem celebrating the resurrection of the risen Lord, but that should be part of the gospel that is preached.

And with that I agree.

I have no problem with a day of rememberance of the Lords death, burial, and resurrection. In fact it is done weekly at most of the Churches I have attended. It is called the LORD's Day.

In what way?

To hear about such progress in a short amount of time is very encouraging!

If it was all about me I'd make these changes wholesale. But alas, I am only one of three elders. Additionally, there is only so much change you can force on people. Our stand on the doctrines of grace cost us a few members and still is not settled completely. One step at a time.

The Biblical calendar is lunar, so they had a leap month instead of a leap year, which they held about every three years. You can see why if there're 12months of 29.5 days each. The Sanhedrin or other ruling body depending on the time determined when Easter/Passover would occur based on the barley harvest, which ripens in the Spring. The word Abib, which you find in the OT for the first month means barley at the stage right before harvest, and we know that from the context of the plague of hail, where it's mentioned that the wheat survived the hail being later but the barley didn't because it was abib.

Which is a long winded way of saying that our calendar and theirs just don't jive, and getting it exactly right would be very difficult, although I understand some churches are working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back