Intro to Regulative Principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sosipater

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone have any recommendations for a fairly easy to read introduction to the ideas and reasoning behind the Regulative Principle? I have not fully embraced the RP, but do see many merits and lean that way. I would like to study this with my wife, as she is not as RP leaning as I am. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Grace & Peace,
Russ

P.S. Resourses that can be found online are preferable. Thanks! :bs2:

D. G. Hart has a very good book on the subject titled "With Reverance and Awe: Returning to the Basics of Reformed Worship". Its a good treatment on the subject and easy to read. I am currently reading his latest book "Recovering Mother Kirk: The Case for Liturgy in the Reformed Tradition".

The chapter on Religious worship and the Sabbath day in the WCF and teh Catechism questions on the second commandment are also good places to start for basic summaries of the regulative principle with scripture references.

This is not a hard book, but it is very helpful - "[i:d4d03aea92]Gospel Worship[/i:d4d03aea92]" by Jeremiah Burroughs. It is 14 sermons on Regulating Worship by God's holiness.

Russ,

You should also check out a little book by Terry Johnson called, [i:c30ce00edb]Reformed Worship: Worship That is According to Scripture[/i:c30ce00edb]. It is an excellent, simple and pastoral treatment.

Fred: Where do you get the book? I could not find it on Amazon. It looks like that could be a good resource to have available at the church.

Hey Fred,

Funny you should recommend Terry Johnson's book. I actually read most of it a couple of years or so ago, but I didn't spend too much time threshing it out. I need to go back and re-read. Actually, I live near Savannah and my old roommate attends Terry's church and I have visited on Sunday nights quite often in the Past. I think very highly of Mr. Johnson and have chatted with him on a couple of occassions.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about it. :bs2:

Grace & Peace,
Russ

[quote:b937c91339]Fred: Where do you get the book? I could not find it on Amazon. It looks like that could be a good resource to have available at the church.[/quote:b937c91339]

Scott,

If you can't get it anywhere else and still want it let me know and I will swing by IPC and get a copy and send it to you.

Grace & Peace,
Russ

[quote:7029aa26a2="Scott"]Fred: Where do you get the book? I could not find it on Amazon. It looks like that could be a good resource to have available at the church.[/quote:7029aa26a2]

Scott,

Contact First Pres in Jackson (601.353.8316) for a copy. That is what the back of the book says.

The book is published by Reformed Academic Press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back