Impact of Puritan Writings

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Out of all the books you've read by the puritans, which one stands out for you as the number 1 most influencial book, that had the most impact on your walk with the Lord? Why?

I'd have to say "Gospel Worship" by Jeremiah Burroughs. Since how we worship reflects on everything else about us as Christians, this has been the most life-changing book yet. To learn that worship is for God, not for us, has been significant, to say the least.

Also, "Grace," by Christopher Love, who taught me that Christ is a better Savior than I am a sinner.:book2:

Originally posted by Don Kistler
I'd have to say "Gospel Worship" by Jeremiah Burroughs. Since how we worship reflects on everything else about us as Christians, this has been the most life-changing book yet. To learn that worship is for God, not for us, has been significant, to say the least.

Also, "Grace," by Christopher Love, who taught me that Christ is a better Savior than I am a sinner.:book2:
Both sound great. Tough question, I'm sure - if you had to choose, which would be number 1?

:amen:

If I had to choose, which I thankfully don't, I'd list them as follows:

1. Gospel Worship
1A. Grace:lol:
:lol: yes, purely hypthetical.

Does the Westminster Standards count? The Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland edition that I have was for me a life-changing book. So much could be said....

Jonathan Edwards' Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and Joseph Alleine's Alarm to the Unconverted both blew away much of my false Arminian (in)security in my Christian walk and pointed me towards faith in Christ alone.

Calvin's Institutes was a pivotal book in my transition from modern evangelical to Reformed.

J.G. Vos' The Separated Life is one of the best treatments on Christian liberty and remains one of the most influential books that I have ever read.

Commentaries by Matthew Henry and Matthew Poole, among others, continue to serve as a gold mine in which I find spiritual nuggets day after day and year after year.

Zacharius Ursinus' commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism is most mellifluous. :)

It's hard to choose...:book2:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Does the Westminster Standards count?
Sure.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
It's hard to choose...:book2:
When the going gets tough, the tough...

I've got the utmost confidence in you. Which is number 1?

[Jeopardy music playing]

Da Da Da Da Da Da Da,
Da Da Da da...

[/Jeopardy music playing]

:lol: Ok, Alex Trebek. Q. What is...the Westminster Standards?

Westminster_Confession_of_Faith.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back