How to Properly Prep Drywall for paint...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I just had insulation blown into my house, so now there are a ton of 3in holes on my interior walls.

The company who did it badly put joint compound or Spackle on these holes.

Anyway, I want to get from that point -- touching up those areas with spackle/compound -- to painting it and it looking like there was no hole there at all (i.e. unnoticeable). HOW???

Everytime I've seen people sand spackle and paint, you can tell that the texture of the wall is different in those areas compared to others, so there are really smooth areas (spackled areas) that have been sanded and slightly less smooth areas (normal drywall). I want it uniform, but I don't know how.

Any help to make this turn out good?

Last edited:
[video=youtube;pw5ETGiiBRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5ETGiiBRg[/video]

I just had insulation blown into my house, so now there are a ton of 3in holes on my external walls.

The company who did it badly put joint compound or Spackle on these holes.

Anyway, I want to get from that point -- touching up those areas with spackle/compound -- to painting it and it looking like there was no hole there at all (i.e. unnoticeable). HOW???

Everytime I've seen people sand spackle and paint, you can tell that the texture of the wall is different in those areas compared to others, so there are really smooth areas (spackled areas) that have been sanded and slightly less smooth areas (normal drywall). I want it uniform, but I don't know how.

Any help to make this turn out good?

Is the exterior wall really drywall? That sounds more like an interior wall.
Terry

Three inch holes are kind of large to just spackle. If you do a search on youtube you will find some great suggestions. Did they save the three inch pieces of drywall? You need to screw a backer board inside the wall to screw the three inch piece to so it is flush with the wall then spackle and sand just like a normal seam.

3 inches? (Sounds a bit larger than I would have expected). You probably should patch rather than spackle. That's going to be a lot of cutting, taping, mudding and sanding. Have you considered wallpaper? Fairly easy to hang. Or, for the holes at the top of the wall, perhaps a wide border if you don't want to paper the whole wall. That might cut the patching job in half, as you'd only have to worry about the lower holes.

Basically, you have a triangle, with cost, appearance, and time being the three points, with you deciding where in the triangle to end up.

Definitely patch, tape or mesh, then feather the joint compound out much wider than the actual diameter if the patch. This will help conceal the fact that the patched portions are raised from the walls surface. Primer and paint. You can try a sponge or some other textured material on the paint while it is still wet to match the surrounding area, but you likely won't get it perfect. Just remember, flat paint conceals flaws much better than paint with any degree of gloss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back