How hard do you pursue unresponsive people?

How much do you follow up with someone who is unresponsive but has shown interest?

• I give up after one attempt.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I give up after two or three attempts.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I back off for a while and resume my attempts later.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I keep trying and hope they will respond eventually.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Pilger

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

The reason for the poll is that I'd like to get other people's feedback about getting people to help out with something at church or even an activity outside of church. If someone has expressed interest in helping out but is unresponsive to repeated attempts to communicate about it, how hard do you pursue that person? I tend to be a realist and think that if someone does not respond in spite of repeated attempts to talk about it, it's probably time to back off from that person. But perhaps I'm being too severe about it, so I thought I'd get some other perspectives on it.

If none of the poll answer choices suits you, of course, feel free to post an alternate answer.

Combination of the last 2. I have some atheist friends I have had dialogue with for years. I'm constantly praying for wisdom on my part and for grace and mercy on behalf of them.

We tend to think since we are believers we are somehow more deserving than them. We aren't. They need His mercy & grace just as much as we did when He drew us.

If it doesn't happen, we know that we aren't ultimately responsible for their coming, but I don't want to be smug in my belief and in knowing I was not diligent enough in loving and caring for those that--like me--don't deserve that same grace freely given.

We need to keep Jonah and Nineveh in the forefront of our minds.

Sorry, folks, I goofed. The question in the poll sounds like evangelism, but that is not at all what it was about. It's just asking about people who said they would help out with something but end up being unresponsive.

That'll teach me to be more specific in how I word my question.

Combination of the last 2. I have some atheist friends I have had dialogue with for years. I'm constantly praying for wisdom on my part and for grace and mercy on behalf of them.

We tend to think since we are believers we are somehow more deserving than them. We aren't. They need His mercy & grace just as much as we did when He drew us.

If it doesn't happen, we know that we aren't ultimately responsible for their coming, but I don't want to be smug in my belief and in knowing I was not diligent enough in loving and caring for those that--like me--don't deserve that same grace freely given.

We need to keep Jonah and Nineveh in the forefront of our minds.

Those were my thoughts as well when reading the title. Then I read the post and discovered that he wasn't talking about evangelism. :D

Der Pilger;

The reason for the poll is that I'd like to get other people's feedback about getting people to help out with something at church or even an activity outside of church. If someone has expressed interest in helping out but is unresponsive to repeated attempts to communicate about it, how hard do you pursue that person? I tend to be a realist and think that if someone does not respond in spite of repeated attempts to talk about it, it's probably time to back off from that person. But perhaps I'm being too severe about it, so I thought I'd get some other perspectives on it.

If none of the poll answer choices suits you, of course, feel free to post an alternate answer.

I don't push it, if I ask someone to get together for lunch or coffee or something, I typically give a date and time, that way they let me know if they can get together then or not..

I try not to be vague and say.."would you like to get together one day and do such and such..." as your not going to get a straight yes or no answer, if you give a specific date and time, if they don't know right then, ask if they can call you later to let you know..if that day is not good for them, then maybe you could work out a different day..but if after a couple of times they are continually busy..I drop it..as there are other people I can get together with.

'Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us; we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God.' 2 Cor 5:20

Our greatest difficulty is our own feelings and fear and self protection from hostility and rejection, as least thats the hardest part for me. I shudder when spoken to with hostility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back