How do you respond to charitable organization phone calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What can be done?"

I think churches, as individual churches or presbyteries or denominations, should send missionaries. Rather than missionaries going about hat in hand.

We get so many at home that for the most part I just hang up. I think most of them are scams anyway.

"What can be done?"

I think churches, as individual churches or presbyteries or denominations, should send missionaries. Rather than missionaries going about hat in hand.

Churches and denominations do send missionaries, and support-raising is still a need among those missionaries, too.

"What can be done?"

In my experience, when someone is sent by a local congregation, we network with "sister congregations" to develop a support base for them. This may involve an elder recommendation letter or just a friendly conversation developing into "talk to Mr. X at Y Baptist in Z town".

We got that call, too. I made it clear that donating time, money, and effort to our local maternity home really made a difference in my book.

I just got a call from them 30 minutes ago. I had my weather radio on and everything! She said, "Oh, right, I hear you have a storm/tornado watch going on there," and she keeps on talking! I told her about supporting A Woman's Choice and that they saved nearly 600 babies this past year- and she says good, and keeps on. I said no, not now (and she said, what about in several weeks), and I hung up.

"What can be done?"

Churches and denominations do send missionaries, and support-raising is still a need among those missionaries, too.

I hope my statement did not sound to you like I criticize you for asking for support. I am promoting a different paradigm for mission support which I think is most helpful to the missionaries. I certainly did not mean to imply that you should not ask for support. There is nothing wrong with that.

"What can be done?"

I hope my statement did not sound to you like I criticize you for asking for support. I am promoting a different paradigm for mission support which I think is most helpful to the missionaries. I certainly did not mean to imply that you should not ask for support. There is nothing wrong with that.

Oh, no problem. I just don't believe that that other paradigm need to be the only one.

Charitable organizations are required to tell you what percentage of donations go to overhead/administrative expenses, if you ask them. Once we got a call from an organization that provided teddy bears for police officers to keep in their cars in case they run into a distressed child. We asked what percentage of donations actually went towards the purchase of the teddy bears. His answer? Five percent! We couldn't believe it! Of course we didn't donate (not that we would have anyway). So ask about administrative costs; you might get an interesting answer.

The bulk of 'charities' that cold call you are scams. It's one thing if you have a relationship with the organization - you attended the school, or you've bought books from them. Those claiming to represent law enforcement organizations are among the worst.

This is absolutely the case. Be careful even to give information. Ask them to remove from their calling list and file complaint with donotcall registry (after registering your phone number).

file complaint with donotcall registry

That's not going to help - the politician carved out exceptions for themselves and for special interest charities when they drafted the law. So to the extent that they minimally qualify as a charity, they can continue to harass you, as can mis-guided politicians who think that you'll be more disposed to vote for them if they harass you on the phone (although 'push polling' probably does work.)

I ask them I will read their litterature. They can send me their litterature or I will even give them my e-mail (not the one I use for personal stuff but for giving out publically) and read it with an open mind, but I don't like phonecalls. I can be manipulated too easily ;) #problemofbeinganiceguy

Get caller i.d. to avoid the confrontation.

But if you do answer, sixth and ninth commandment and other biblical principles apply- let your conversation be seasoned with grace.
Colossians 4:4-6
4That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

5Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Your response may be used as a testimony of your life, and the Lord hears all conversations.

Westminster Larger Catechism

Question 135: What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?

Answer: The duties required in the sixth commandment are, all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves and others by resisting all thoughts and purposes, subduing all passions, and avoiding all occasions, temptations, and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any; by just defense thereof against violence, patient bearing of the hand of God, quietness of mind, cheerfulness of spirit; a sober use of meat, drink, physic, sleep, labor, and recreations; by charitable thoughts, love, compassion, meekness, gentleness, kindness; peaceable, mild and courteous speeches and behavior; forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil; comforting and succoring the distressed, and protecting and defending the innocent.

Directly, but politely decline. It's a tough job for them, and some charities are well worth supporting.

First time: I kindly decline and ask them to remove me from the do not call list.
Second Time: I start reading them the Do-Not-Call Implementation act of 2003 (taking special care to note the potential fine of $16,000/call).
Third Time (Yes...someone actually tried it again...while I was in class): I have to admit I wasn't kind about it, since the circumstances really angered me. But I generally told them that if they called again, they will be turned in.

Haven't heard from them since.

Lately though, some nut has been sending me text messages saying I've won a Walmart gift-card worth $10,000.

Lately though, some nut has been sending me text messages saying I've won a Walmart gift-card worth $10,000.

wow! I received this same text this morning! It completely caught me off guard and I had never heard of, nor seen anything like it before. Of course I immediately recognized it as a scam, but its interesting to know I'm not the only one.

How about giving them the gospel? Would that be a situation of throwing pearls before swine?

I don't consider telemarketers "swine," they are probably just people in desperate need of a job. But would it be appropriate to ask them, "Do you know the Lord?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back